composite vs. laminate

sph
composite vs. laminate

Post by sph » December 16th, 2012, 10:41 pm

I have a Master Hunter Extreme, which has both the laminate and composite thumbhole stocks. I've only shot this gun with the laminate stock. Thein clement weather (rain) has me thinking that I should take the composite stock into the woods when the forecast calls for rain most of the day. I have a scope on this muzzloader. The barrel fits much more snug on the composite stock than the laminate. My concern is the gun will hit differently if the barrel isn't bedded the same as with the laminate, which the gun is sighted in with. Thoughts?

sourdough44

Re: composite vs. laminate

Post by sourdough44 » December 17th, 2012, 6:55 am

I would want to hunt with it mounted in the stock it was sighted in with. Chances are it may not be much different with the impact. You could test both stocks & see where you are at. With most guns when you change any 'pressure points' with the mounting, you can change the point of impact.

I have seen folks at the range rest their BARREL in a rest, a hard one. That is normally a real no-no sighting in. I don't say anything unless asked.

If you like the composite stock better I'd just use that, rain or shine. It won't come apart if wet, they are put together very well & built for such use. Just give it the proper care, wipedown, drying & such after the wet hunt, just like the rest of the rifle. JMHO

sph

Post by sph » December 17th, 2012, 9:40 pm

Thank you for the reply. I assumed it might hit different. I love the laminate stock, its like carrying a piece of art into the woods. I will shoot the composite stock at the range and compare. It pinches the barrel and I suspect it might affect the grouping. It would be very convenient if they shoot the same. Thank you again.

sqezer

Post by sqezer » December 25th, 2012, 10:18 pm

I'll take the laminated stock if you ever want to get rid of it. :D