Breech Plug

Ron1369
Breech Plug

Post by Ron1369 » December 6th, 2012, 12:08 pm

I want to find out if by drilling the hole in the breech plug to a bigger size will help keep your gun from cap firing as much?? I noticed that the hole in my breech plug is fairly small and wondered if the hole was a little bigger if that would help keep it from cap firing only, I know it would help to ignite the powder better with more of the caps ignitions getting to the powder. But is it a good idea to drill it out a bit?

sourdough44

Re: Breech Plug

Post by sourdough44 » December 7th, 2012, 6:46 am

I'd worry about pressure blowing back the enlarged hole. If you are getting unreliable ignition I'd investigate what you can do to fix that. The guys that designed the gun should know more about it than most of us. I'd defer to how it was designed.

Maybe you need fresh powder, hotter cap or primer, or a flash channel cleanout with a 'welding tip cleaner'. What exact gun is it? Even my old sidelocks fired on cue when everything was clean & dry.

Ron1369

Post by Ron1369 » December 10th, 2012, 2:17 pm

I own the American Knight but that isn't the gun I was referring to. I own an older ML and was wondering if that would help with it, I have had it cap fire on me more than I care to admit and thought that maybe if I drilled out the breech a little bit bigger that it may help from having that happen as often as it does. I have cleaned it out and still have it happen to me. I suppose I should try and use different primers and see if that may fix the problem before I go and drill on the thing.
Does anyone have any suggestions on a good # 11 primer cap??

hunterwhop

Post by hunterwhop » December 10th, 2012, 9:08 pm

do you oil the gun to much that could be problem. I have had that problem with pyrodex like 25 years ago in my mk85 switched to real black powder GOEX FFG and never looked back. as far as caps cci makes good ones. they fire and split every time.

garyjr

Post by garyjr » December 11th, 2012, 6:03 am

I have a t bolt, with a musket cap system! my cap would go off every time but about 20% of the time would fire till i put a second cap in! I used a drill bit to make it bigger! OK do not remember what size it was, I have one of those 64 drill bit kits! took the size that the new nipple was and increased the hole to the next size! That was about 5 years ago! And never have had another misfire! and about blow back didn't notice any change! (I have 2 breech plugs and nipples so if out in the field and fire more the 3 times I can switch over!)

garyjr

Post by garyjr » December 11th, 2012, 12:11 pm

Just got back to the Camper LOL, Pulled the spare breechplug and cap out, i drilled the hole to 1/16, My gun has been loaded for 5 days! I am on the farm staying in my camper! had to discharge this morning! Have to head home today! Birthday! LOL. anyway have to work tomorrow! Shot the muzzle! not a problem! but before I did that 3 or 4 years back, It would of taken 2 caps if sat that long! I would say the hole would of been maybe 1/32 before! I still have 2 in the factory package but not going to open to see the origional size! Just looked at the note I left myself on the each package! Thing about getting old! LOL :D