Which Knight would you Purchase?

RGJZ06
Which Knight would you Purchase?

Post by RGJZ06 » November 25th, 2012, 12:37 pm

I'm in the market for a new ML and as a currect Knight owner, I'll buy another one. Their quality is excellent and are a fine shooting gun. The problem I'm having is I don't know which one to purchase. I should say which Caliber to buy. I'm leaning towards a .52. I mostly deer hunt but may Elk hunt in the near future. Please let me know which one you would purchase and why. I also like the idea of having them installing a Leupold US scope on there as well. I'm not sure if the bore site the weapon before it leaves the factory. If anyone has input on the scope that would really help me as well.

Thanks,

RGJZ06

sourdough44

Re: Which Knight would you Purchase?

Post by sourdough44 » November 26th, 2012, 5:53 am

I'd think the ballistics of the 52 would be great, but for the little difference I'd just stick with a 50 cal. The 50 is just so much easier to deal with when it comes to finding your favorite components, bullets/sabots mostly. While hunting I also share with other guys in my group should one end up short, we all shoot 50 cal. I actually did have a buddy who shot all his loads off(about 5) on an IL hunt 10 days ago. He did get 2 deer but he had some other 'issues' going on.

As far as a scope I always just put my own on, not all that hard. You could also bring it in to a local shop if you need help. If you want a Leupold scope a 2.5-8 pwr would be a great scope, VX-III or whatever that call it now days. My usually setup would be 'Weaver' style bases, medium Warne rings, should leave adequate clearance for the bolt. If I was to but another M-L it would be a Knight for sure, but I already have 5 Knights.

RGJZ06

Post by RGJZ06 » November 26th, 2012, 9:33 am

I thought about the plus' of having a .50. I have a .50 DE with a laminated stock. It's a lights out shooter @ 100 yards but haven't shot at any greater distance. I'm using BH209 along with Knights 290 grain BTHP's. the scope on that gun is a Leupold VX-3 3.5/10/50mm. The mounts on it are weaver style Leupold's.

RGJZ06

sourdough44

Post by sourdough44 » November 27th, 2012, 7:14 am

I ended up with 5 Knights over the years & gave 2 more away. I sold/ traded off my other M-Ls. If I had a good deal come by I couldn't pass it up. Right now I'm using a SS 'Elite'. A few are in mid term storage, cleaned with a little RIG grease.

RGJZ06

Post by RGJZ06 » November 27th, 2012, 9:44 am

I have a Master Hunter DE and a long range Hunter. Both with thumb hole stocks. I'm not sure if I've seen an Elite in person. Knight's web site has a picture of one on their home page, where the advertisement scrolls across the page. It's a black carbon stocked gun and is leaning against a tree beside a guy with an Ohio buck on the ground. That gun might be the best looking ML I've ever seen

RGJZ06

a1smokepole

Post by a1smokepole » November 27th, 2012, 8:17 pm

If your looking for 52cal I would go with the mountineer this is one fine gun I have one but its the old extreme and shoots very good and it will take down anything you shot with it.

RGJZ06

Post by RGJZ06 » November 28th, 2012, 4:28 pm

a1smokepole wrote:If your looking for 52cal I would go with the mountineer this is one fine gun I have one but its the old extreme and shoots very good and it will take down anything you shot with it.
Thanks for the input. I ordered a Mountianeer in .52. I ordered it with the scope installed as well. It should ship on Friday. I'll have it out the following weekend. I have a lot of work to do before Ohio's late ML season. I'll need to work up a load and get used to shooting it. This will be my third year hunting in January in Southern Ohio.

RGJZ06

a1smokepole

Post by a1smokepole » November 28th, 2012, 10:27 pm

get you a good load for it and go hunting some have said the 220gr bloodline shoot good in this gun I have some but have not tryed them the barnes 300gr socom and 120gr BH209 with CCI 209M primer shoot good in mine and the 325gr ftx is a good bullet to and with 130gr load of BH it will move your teeth its a mule.but I use 110gr with the 325gr bullet.

RGJZ06

Post by RGJZ06 » December 3rd, 2012, 5:58 am

a1smokepole wrote:get you a good load for it and go hunting some have said the 220gr bloodline shoot good in this gun I have some but have not tryed them the barnes 300gr socom and 120gr BH209 with CCI 209M primer shoot good in mine and the 325gr ftx is a good bullet to and with 130gr load of BH it will move your teeth its a mule.but I use 110gr with the 325gr bullet.
Thanks for the load input, a1smokepole. I have some of the 325's FTX bullets. I've shot 120gr behind a 295 bullet in my .50 without a problem but it does let you know it's there.

RGJZ06

RGJZ06

Post by RGJZ06 » December 7th, 2012, 11:31 am

The new Mountaineer is here. I ordered a 25th Anniversary model in .52. I ordered it scoped and it's a ver nice looking sit-up. This is my second gun in this configuration, the other in .50. My first gun has a very nice figured wood stock, true Burl walnut. This new gun doesn't have figure at all. Has anyone on the site experienced this as well?

Thanks,

RGJZ06