Bullets

frontstuffer01
Bullets

Post by frontstuffer01 » February 22nd, 2012, 8:23 pm

What is your favorite mz bullet?....Be it sabot, prb, or concial...........Mine is the Barnes 250-300gr xpanders, or a 45cal hornady xtp 300gr, expermenting now with the Thor mz bullets, i'll have to get back to you on that 1.

WIhunter

Re: Bullets

Post by WIhunter » February 22nd, 2012, 9:44 pm

250 grain Barnes Expander .452 in a black Harvester crush rib sabot. I'm going to move up to a .458 Barnes bullet because the .452's fit kind of loosely.

apapro

Post by apapro » February 22nd, 2012, 10:46 pm

I will agree with you there Frontstuffer.....those Barnes bullets are amazing! I can't wait to get my new Knigt rifle and a few of those Leighigh bullets to try out!! I have used the Hornady XTP 300 grand have had excellent sucsess with them also!

sabotloader

Post by sabotloader » February 22nd, 2012, 11:22 pm

frontstuffer01 wrote:What is your favorite mz bullet?....Be it sabot, prb, or concial...........Mine is the Barnes 250-300gr xpanders, or a 45cal hornady xtp 300gr, expermenting now with the Thor mz bullets, i'll have to get back to you on that 1.
right now today... my favorite bullet is the Bloodline/Lehigh -> .458-275 grain DOA. Probably the best all around bullet that I have used. I was a die hard Nosler Partition user until the advent of the Lehigh Bullet.

I have harvested several animals with one Bloodline/Lehigh of some sort and all of them have shown me excellent 'Terminal Ballistics'

I really am a fan of the MMP polymer formulation, as it remains pliable even the really cold temperatures that I hunt in here in north Idaho... I know Harvesters can be had for less money but the MMP HPH sabots have not failed me yet.
Keep on Shooting Muzzleloaders - They are a blast

bear hunter

Post by bear hunter » February 23rd, 2012, 3:39 pm

:twisted: I will never use Cheap shot hollow point again. I shot a blacktail at 13' broadside. She just walked away and my buddy couldn't get a shot on her. He said I missed,because there was no hair or blood. I spent 2 hour looking and as I was about to give up. I heared some tree hungers hiking down the trail about 80 yards away. She said to her hiking buddys "SOME ONE SHOT A DEER". I waited and worked my way over there. I found her "THANKS TO THE HIKERS" I looked her over and I did hit her. The bullet entered a center mass at the back of the rib cage. After gutting her I found the bullet by the tenderloin. CRAZY It was as flat as a pan cake. I shot her broadside the bullet went in halfway and made a left. Not a good bullet. There was no blood at all. All the blood was in side the deer. I all most lost her. I don't use the holow point ones anymore. For deer I like the yellow tip TC in 250 gr they work great. Elk I was thinking of bloodline or Barnes for next year or after I use up the rest of my old shit.
Last edited by bear hunter on February 23rd, 2012, 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

frontstuffer01

Post by frontstuffer01 » February 23rd, 2012, 9:22 pm

Sabotloader,.......i've seem some of your post's on a different mz site and i am impressed with the Lehigh bullet. What powder charge are you pushing them with?..Also have you shot any big game with them yet, if i was to shoot a whitetail with 100grs blackhorn, will these bullets expand to soon or will i need to push them harder....the reason i'm asking is because this is a brass bullet and i know it's harder than lead, an copper.

sabotloader

Post by sabotloader » February 23rd, 2012, 10:04 pm

frontstuffer01 wrote:Sabotloader,.......i've seem some of your post's on a different mz site and i am impressed with the Lehigh bullet. What powder charge are you pushing them with?..Also have you shot any big game with them yet, if i was to shoot a whitetail with 100grs blackhorn, will these bullets expand to soon or will i need to push them harder....the reason i'm asking is because this is a brass bullet and i know it's harder than lead, an copper.
I shoot the Lehigh/Bloodlines with a 120 grains of T7-2f in the 50 and 52 cal and 110 grains in the 45 cal guns. Those two powdr charges work very well for me and I am quite confident they would work with a 100 grains also.

If I remember correctly to get the maximum use of the Lehigh/Bloodline the bullets needs to hit at about 12-1300fps. Also if the bullet hit at a lesser velocity - the bullet still work much like a conventional HP bullet.

I did this spread sheet a few years back but the information still should provide some information. This table was worked with a 300 grain bullet. So if you are shooting a lesser weight the velocity just goes up.

The way the Lehigh/Bloodline is designed to work is the petals will not open fully until the nose of the bullet contacts a fluid substance, so in fact you should be able to shoot through the hide or even bone and the bullet does not open completely but as soon as it hits the fluid vitals - the petals will open fully.

I think if you look at the table above you will see you are creating plenty of velocity probably all the way out to 175 yards with a 300 grain bullet.

There is a video someplace that a company did shooting the bullet through a windshield on an angle and then into Ballastic Gell. The bullet passes through the windshield intact passes through a small air gap into the Gell - once it gets into Gell it opened as it was suppose to. Knight may even have these videos on their sight.

I have shot a few deer with the bullet and it certainly performed as advertised...

Keep on Shooting Muzzleloaders - They are a blast

Jimmer

Post by Jimmer » April 22nd, 2012, 11:29 pm

I have been using Speer Gold Dot 300 grain .452. They perform very well and are very accurate out of my Disc Elite 50. MMP Sabot, 95 grains of T7 3F. I will upload pictures soon.
Attachments
DSCN5608 (2).jpg
2013 200 yards broadside, devastating wound channel.
DSCN5608 (2).jpg (230.76KiB)Viewed 47924 times
Last edited by Jimmer on October 9th, 2013, 2:04 am, edited 3 times in total.

GMB54-120

Post by GMB54-120 » April 23rd, 2012, 11:04 am

In a 50cal, pretty much any 300gr 458 using either the MMP Orange or the Harvester Black Crushrib. Use which ever gives you the right fit in your bore. My personal favorites are...Barnes 300gr 458 SOCOM, Lehigh/BloodLine 458 275gr and the FTX 458-325gr. The SOCOM might do better with the Harvester Yellow CR for Boattails. They are too tight though in most of mine.

An honorable mention goes to the Barnes 45LC-225gr XPB. Its a great little bullet if you want less recoil and excellent energy transfer.
Green Mountain 54-120 Brush Gun
Elite 45 blued
Original DISC 45 SS
LRH 52cal

sqezer

Post by sqezer » April 24th, 2012, 10:16 am

frontstuffer01 wrote:Sabotloader,.......i've seem some of your post's on a different mz site and i am impressed with the Lehigh bullet. What powder charge are you pushing them with?..Also have you shot any big game with them yet, if i was to shoot a whitetail with 100grs blackhorn, will these bullets expand to soon or will i need to push them harder....the reason i'm asking is because this is a brass bullet and i know it's harder than lead, an copper.
Im not sabotloader but last fall I took an adult Doe at 48 yards using my KNIGHT ELITE .45 with 110 grs. of BH-209 and the 40x200 gr. Lehigh, the bullet hit her just below the right eye and exited the back of here head where it meets the neck. The impact broke her neck and the energy from the bullet tipped her upside down onto her back with all 4 feet straight in the air. :lol: :lol: Im a believer in the BLOODLINE.