Loads/Bullets for Elk in Northwest

OutdoorAddict
Loads/Bullets for Elk in Northwest

Post by OutdoorAddict » May 25th, 2015, 10:28 pm

Does anyone here hunt elk in the Northwest (Oregon, Idaho, Washington)? I am trying to find a good load/bullet combination that is effective on elk and still comply with the NW regulations. Here in Washington we can shoot any bullet, but we are limited to using standard #11 or musket caps, no 209 primers. I have tried to use pellets but have a serious delay in ignition with #11's. I have not tried musket caps yet but that will be next. I have been told not to use more than 120 grains of granular powder as anything in excess of 120 will not burn and will simply blow out the end of the muzzle.

I shot a cow last fall with 110 grains of Pyrodex Select and a 295 grain Powerbelt (lead). It was only a 70 yard shot and was quartering; we found only one spot where the elk coughed-up some blood but no more was found after an extensive and lengthy search. I now know I should have used a different bullet, but I feel that without 209's we are quite restricted on loads. Any advice or suggestions?

Thanks

GMB54-120

Re: Loads/Bullets for Elk in Northwest

Post by GMB54-120 » June 24th, 2015, 7:25 pm

I cant imagine why you would need more than 100gr of powder if you used a 440-460gr conical. Many people only use around 70-90gr with the big lead. That load is basically a 50/90 Sharps without the case.

Knight sells the Parker conical. http://www.knightrifles.com/product/hyd ... r-bullets/

NoExcuses sell some great conicals http://www.muzzleloading-bullets.com/in ... age319.htm

There isn't an elk on the planet that should walk away from a well placed heavy conical.
Green Mountain 54-120 Brush Gun
Elite 45 blued
Original DISC 45 SS
LRH 52cal

OutdoorAddict

Post by OutdoorAddict » September 1st, 2015, 9:48 pm

I completely forgot about this forum until I was digging around on the web and went to Knight's web page. Thanks for your response and advice. I ordered some of the "No Excuses" bullets and will be out this weekend to give them a try.
Thanks again!

FBrandt

Post by FBrandt » December 19th, 2015, 9:04 pm

I hunt Idaho also. MK-85, .54. I've tried some conicals and maxiballs with mediocre accuracy results. With the 405 grain powerbelts and 100 grains pyrodex I get about 2 inch groups at 100 yds, but they also leave so much lead in the barrel, I only get two shots before I need to take it apart and clean it. If you can get good accuracy from some big conicals, I'd sure like to hear the details.

Return to “Elk Hunting”