My new KP!

Sharpshooter
My new KP!

Post by Sharpshooter » November 4th, 2015, 7:50 pm

Last month, I bought a nib KP1 in 45-70 for small money sight unseen. I have both observations and questions about this rifle. Mine has the new style trigger without the secondary safety. Bases are Weaver with Warne QD mounts. Scope is a Leupold VXII with LR recticle. Ignition is positive with no misfires. Accuracy with Hornady Leverevolution 325 grain bullets , shooting from a very stable bench, is outstanding. 5 shot groups are just one ragged hole about 3/4" in diameter. When shooting from the bench, rifle is cradled in a lead sled using 20 pounds of sand to tame movement and recoil. Shooting offhand is another story altogether,since the trigger is heavy with a lot of creep. I was really taken aback by the lousy trigger. I have two other Knight rifles currently, a MK-85 and MHC Extreme and both have great triggers. Some questions:
1. Anybody doing trigger work on these rifles? I don't expect Timney or Jewell performance-just a nice clean break at 3 pounds.

2. 45-70 loading data comes in 3 flavors/levels-trapdood loads for old rifles, 2nd level loads for the Marlin and Winchester like the Hornady stuff above and Level 3 loads for the Ruger single shot that will push a 300 grain bullet to 2600fps. So, is the KP1 capable of handling the level 3 loads safely?

3. Occasionaly, I see nib KP1 barrels at gun shows. Is my 45-70 an annomoly, or do they all shoot light out?

paulbolcar

Re: My new KP!

Post by paulbolcar » December 6th, 2015, 8:01 am

I have 2 Kp1s and 5 barrels 2 .50 cal Mz, 2 45-70s, 1 .243, all stainless and all shoot great. I have 2 friends that own 3 KP1s between them and those guns all shoot great. I am currently looking to buy another KP1 if I can find one at a really good price. I wish Knight would bring them back, they are great guns. My Knight Vision shoots great also but I prefer to use the KP1, my 45-70 loads are in the 3rd class, at about 2400 fps with a 300 gr. bullet, without any problems.

Return to “KP1”