new to muzzleloaders

stevenstell
new to muzzleloaders

Post by stevenstell » March 11th, 2013, 8:06 pm

this is my first time to muzzleloaders and to any kind of form.... so I hope this makes sense. I just purchased a kp1 50 cal and am very excited to shoot it. I hear it is a great riffle, and I think it is the best looking one around. anyway to the point. I have no idea what loads, bullets, and primers to use. I will be using this riffle to hunt elk and mule deer. I read in this forum about upgrades and changes and drill bits.... its all very confusing. I like it simple, so any help that anyone can offer me is greatly appreciated. It sounds like everyone I read here is hard core, and I am very impressed. I hope, in the not to distant future, I will understand all I read.... and perhaps some day I can contribute something intelligent! thanks in advance for any recommendations. p.s. I will be hunting in Colorado, so its iron sights, no sabots, and loose powder..... I think.

foglesco

Re: new to muzzleloaders

Post by foglesco » March 12th, 2013, 12:34 pm

I thought Colorado was also a no 209 primer state? If so I don't think the KP1 will work. You may want to go to the Web and check the regulations.

stevenstell

Post by stevenstell » March 12th, 2013, 4:45 pm

foglesco,
thanks for the reply. I just looks at the muzz regs in my 2013 Colorado big game book. it states that: h. shotshell primers are legal. are shotshells the same as 209. I cannot find anything about 209 being legal or not legal pelletized powder is prohibited. also prohibited are, smokeless powder, electronic powered devises, sabots. 40 caliber min for deer, pronghorn or bear. 50 caliber min for elk, or moose. min bullet weight deer 170 and elk 210. again, from my ignorance, are shotshell the same as 209. I thought I heard somewhere that they are the same only better.... burns hotter or something like that. thanks again for taking the time to respond to my post.

foglesco

Post by foglesco » March 13th, 2013, 1:11 pm

209 shotgun primers and shotshell primers are the same thing. There are some decent lead conical bullets out there that should work great in your gun. Backed with 100 grains of 777 you should be able to kill anything in CO within 100 yards. Thats the practical range for open sights anyways.

starbuck

Post by starbuck » April 17th, 2013, 12:02 pm

I hunt Colorado ML seasons whenever I can. For Colorado's ML only season, inlines with 209 or "shotgun primer" ignition are legal; saboted bullets, scopes, and preformed propellants are not. I use a KP-1 with a Williams fire ghost ring on the rear sight ramp. I find this to be very quick and accurate out to 80-100 yds. For loads, I use a CCI magnum primer, 120grns by volume Blackhorn, and a 350 grn Hornady FBP. This load shoots as good as I can hold in both my KP-1 and my brother's TC Triumph. With this load, between my brother and I, we have taken a moose, several elk, several mulies, 2 whitetails, and a large black bear. The few animals that didn't drop on the spot expired quickly, and they left blood trails that even my color blind eyes could follow.

I have been Muzzleloading for quite some time, so I've had the opportunity to test just about every powder-bullet-primer combination out there. To be fair, I've had good results from a number of things I've tried, but based on my experience, you will go a long way to beat Blackhorn powder. It cleans easily with traditional oil based solvents, and I've had it go off without fail after leaving the gun sit outside for several days in rain-sleet-snow on backpack hunts. Do some research and you will quickly find the technical differences between Blackhorn and other black powder substitutes. I know a lot of guys bemoan the fact that you can't use sabots in Colorado, but even if they changed the rules and allowed sabots, I'd still use the Hornady FBP any time open sights are mandated. Sure the drop curve is steeper on their trajectory, but in my set up, out to 100 yds, it's not an issue, and I just can't see shooting confidently at longer ranges with open sites. After the performance I've witnessed with theses bullets, and after seeing and experiencing the poor terminal performance of other full caliber bullets (Power Belts), I can't imagine using something different.
Last edited by starbuck on March 11th, 2014, 3:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

starbuck

Post by starbuck » April 17th, 2013, 12:02 pm

Double post. Tried do delete the duplicate, but it won't allow it.
Last edited by starbuck on February 19th, 2014, 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stevenstell

Post by stevenstell » April 20th, 2013, 6:53 pm

to starbuck:
thanks for the info. I can't wait to get out and hunt with my kp1. your help will get me to a successful hunt and a cleaner kill much quicker. thanks again, I hope you have a great 2013 hunting season yourself.

hydrashocker

Post by hydrashocker » July 15th, 2013, 3:04 pm

Starbuck, can you post up some pictures of your KP1 with the Williams Ghost Ring setup on it?

DarthPaul

Post by DarthPaul » July 16th, 2013, 8:14 pm

Ok, so I am new as well, and was hoping to take my .45 out to the range in about 6 weeks and sight in my scope. I plan to use the 275 grain powerbelt hollow point bullets. My question is how often do I swab the barrel between shots? Use a wet patch? Also the bullets I will be using are copper/copperplated do I need a special solvent? Quite honestly it is going to take me a while to site in properly (since this is my second time). Lastly does anyone have any suggestions on cleaning techniques or what cleaners I should be using? Thanks so much for your help!
Anxiously awaiting opening day!

sourdough44

Post by sourdough44 » July 17th, 2013, 3:46 pm

DarthPaul wrote:Ok, so I am new as well, and was hoping to take my .45 out to the range in about 6 weeks and sight in my scope. I plan to use the 275 grain powerbelt hollow point bullets. My question is how often do I swab the barrel between shots? Use a wet patch? Also the bullets I will be using are copper/copperplated do I need a special solvent? Quite honestly it is going to take me a while to site in properly (since this is my second time). Lastly does anyone have any suggestions on cleaning techniques or what cleaners I should be using? Thanks so much for your help!
Anxiously awaiting opening day!

What type of gun, what State? Any particular regulations? If your gun is so equipped(like Knight Disc) I'd move right on over to Blackhorn 209 powder. There are a few particulars shooting it, tips are available on the Blackhorn 209 site. Shooting B209 gives one a little more breathing room with regard to time after shooting before one must clean. When shooting ANYTHING other than B209 I always cleaned the same day I shot the gun. With B209 one can go a few days, I go 3-4 depending on the hunt.

With B209 clean with regular Hoppes #9 or similar. I don't need to mess with swabbing between shots with B209 in my Knights. With the other powders you can clean with a 'soapy water solution', then protect with a light oil coat.

You need to pick a powder & a load setup in line with your State regs. I don't like to mess around, 120 grns of B209 in my 50 cal & 110 grns in my 45s, all Knight. I usually shoot a Hornady SST or a Barnes bullet.