KP1 Misfire

Troubled
KP1 Misfire

Post by Troubled » December 16th, 2012, 11:44 am

I am having ignition problems with my KP1. using Blackhorn 209 & CCI 209m primers. This has cost me 2 deer in the past 2 days. Can anyone provide and suggestions. Gun is clean and dry.

aquastang

Re: KP1 Misfire

Post by aquastang » December 20th, 2012, 1:55 am

Not sure what breech plug you have, but you might try switching to W209 primers instead. Sabotloader recommended this on a friends Disc Extreme and it worked great. W209's tend to be just a little longer. Breech plug with vent liner definitely works best...my KP1 has given me no issues with CCI's, but that doesn't mean that yours likes them...especially when weather gets cold. My friend's gun had a full plastic jacket breech plug with vent liner and had no issues in September, but in November it did. The W209's was a quick and inexpensive fix until he can get a Lehigh NFPJ breech plug with ventliner.

Troubled

Post by Troubled » December 20th, 2012, 8:14 pm

Thanks for the info. I have ordered a new breech plug from Knight. The breach plug I have now did not require a disc. can you tell me more about the Lehigh NFPJ breech plug with ventliner.

aquastang

Post by aquastang » December 21st, 2012, 12:38 pm

Make sure that the part # you are getting from Knight it M900024V...that is the version with the fulll plastic jacket and the vent liner. Sounds like you were using the "domed" plug that takes a bare primer, at least the was one of the two originals supplied with my KP1 when I got it.

The Lehigh breech plug accepts a bare primer and has a vent liner, but their ventliner is removable where the one you ordered will be fixed. If you don't mind having a fixed vent liner and a little blowback, the M900024V will work fine. Lehigh no longer makes the breech plug, but it can be found by asking on other websites, etc. I just bought one for $45 from a guy. His name is Buddy and can be reached at ginatruckley@ymail.com , which I assume is his wife's e-mail. I think he still has some for sale. They do not come with any ventliners, those you can still order from Lehigh.

I started out with the M900024V from Knight and have had no problems with Blackhorn 209 at all. However, be aware that BH 209 does fill up the primer pocket pretty quickly. When cleaning the breech plug, use a 5/32 drill bit by hand to clean out the primer pocket.

Also, if you are handy and have access to a drill press, there is a post on how to do the conversion yourself.
http://dougsmessageboards.proboards.com ... read=11606

Best of luck.

GMB54-120

Post by GMB54-120 » December 21st, 2012, 5:42 pm

Its my understanding the newest bare primer plug for the KP1 and Vision has been improved. It is no longer "domed" and works better with BH209. I would call Knight and ask for Gordy. He will know for sure about the newest version of the KP1 bare primer plug and what changes were made.
Green Mountain 54-120 Brush Gun
Elite 45 blued
Original DISC 45 SS
LRH 52cal

Troubled

Post by Troubled » December 22nd, 2012, 10:20 am

Thanks for the insight I have ordered the M900024V, I currently have the domed bare primer plug it only has a 1/8 flash hole. I am thinking about opening it up to 5/32 and trying that also.

GMB54-120

Post by GMB54-120 » December 22nd, 2012, 12:12 pm

The Lehigh designed plugs for DISCs and the Mountaineer have a 5/32 flash channel. They work extremely well with BH209 and even a standard Win209 primer. I even tested the original Lehigh bare primer conversions with WinT7 primers with 100% success. I think Lehigh makes the new KP1/Vision plug for Knight but im not 100% sure. If he does make the new ones, i bet the flash channel has been opened up to 5/32.

I am sure the last one i saw was not domed.
Green Mountain 54-120 Brush Gun
Elite 45 blued
Original DISC 45 SS
LRH 52cal

hydrashocker

Post by hydrashocker » January 7th, 2013, 11:28 am

I have no problems ignighting BH209 in my KP1. Make sure your loads are seated tight against the powder ant that your using good bullets. If you look at Blackhorns web pages it gives you all sorts of information on how to load your weapon correctly. The best ignition is either CCI 209M or Federal 209A as stated on their sight. I'm thinking you have a seating issue personally, but who knows.

Further, I have an old Bare 209 conversion plug that I am going to sent to Ron Laughlin breechplug@rchs61.org to have machined for about $20 bucks. He opens them up and add's a removable vent liner. You can then buy replaceable vent liners at Lehigh, or you can get them at Savage. I buy mine at Savage http://www.savagearms.com/ and they work better for me, at least in my modified CVA Elkhorn Pro 50 cal.

You can send Ron a email and see if he is still doing the mod's and get his information.

aquastang

Post by aquastang » February 6th, 2013, 12:14 am

Now that the late muzzleloader season is over here, I have had time on my hands to try a couple things. I did the ventliner conversion on the domed plug last weekend and will be going to the range to check things out. As soon as the season was over, I did order the M900046 breech plug. It is not domed and now has a wider flash channel. A couple weeks ago I had a chance to go try it out at the range and results were favorable...no hang fires and almost no blowback. Be advised however that using a W209 primer was not an option. Gun wouldn't cock with the W209. Used CCI 209M, which is my usual primer anyway, and everything was fine after that.

Return to “KP1”