Basic setup and equipment?

Longbeard
Basic setup and equipment?

Post by Longbeard » April 23rd, 2014, 3:31 pm

I dont have a tk2000. After the reviews I wish I had the extra cash. I bought a CVA optima pro a while ago and could never get it to pattern worth a darn. So I put it up for a couple years. I am having trouble finding any info on these type guns and the exact set up that people are using.

I was running: 100 grains of triple 7, paper, 1 3/4 oz, of 6 shot. paper. (paper divider and wads are,Eastern Maine Black-Powder Shotgun Over-Powder/Over-Shot Wads). I could get the range upto 20 yards. I was not using a shot cup, maybe I should have been.

I did notice that there was a product, Muzzle Loader Originals Black Powder Shotgun Cushion Wads 12 Gauge. Does anybody use these?

I was wondering what set up you all are running?

Any information or help is greatly appreciated!!!!

CannonQ

Re: Basic setup and equipment?

Post by CannonQ » April 23rd, 2014, 4:45 pm

I shoot 120g of Shockey's gold ff. an over powder card, a wonder wad, then a shot cup and over card.
Have a Tk I'm setting up, shoot an encore with a kicks tube.
The encore likes uncut wads, the Tk doesn't.
Balistic products is a good supply contact, they have a wad called the Turkey Ranger.
Buck run supply also sells good reloading supplies.
Encore doesn't like copper plated shot, only hard lead.
Also shoot black powder doubles with the same loads, only I use different wads .
You have to try different things to find what your gun likes.
The Tk is my new project, and I'm still fine tuning things, but it is a 40 yard gun at least.
Hope this helps.
You can google the supply places to find their page.

75+yrsWihntr

Post by 75+yrsWihntr » April 27th, 2014, 11:06 am

I have a Thumbhole stocked TK2000 that I load with 100grs T-7 FFG /CCI M primer and full shot tube with the basic shotgun wads and shot tube from Knight accessories. I get very good patterns with both #5 and #6 lead shot out to 40yds. Haven't paper patterned past that yardage!

CannonQ

Post by CannonQ » April 27th, 2014, 11:37 pm

Just shot 5 1/2 nickel plated shot through the TK today.
Killer pattern out to 50 at least. Also trying a mica wad coating , hope it keeps plastic residue down.
My only gripe with the TK so far, is cleaning is more of a chore than it is with the encore.
Besides that , it is a great gun, the jug choke and outside threads on the tube make up for any other short comings.
Definitely a gun to buy!

Longbeard

Post by Longbeard » May 5th, 2014, 1:48 pm

Thanks for the input/help!

I was able to get my hands on the T/C- 12 Gauge Shot Cups With Over Shot Wads.

100 g triple 7, shot cup (full of shot), and over the shot wad. 209 primer. I was able to have a good pattern at 10 and 20 yards. Started to show some holes at 30. 40 is to spread out.

It should be noted that the gun that I am using does not have a choke tube.

Im thinking that a shot cup with no slits would hold it together down range?

Also are there general rules. (i.e. more powder, better down range) or no? I understand that I will have to still pattern, but just would like to have a bit of knowledge going into it.

Thanks again for the help!!!

slickyboyboo

Post by slickyboyboo » May 5th, 2014, 10:43 pm

Shooting an older TK2000, I won at an NWTF banquet about 12 yrs ago.

These are the loads I shoot. Legit 50 yd killer!

http://forums.knightrifles.com/couple-l ... t1488.html

Return to “TK2000”