LK93 with a Simmons Pro Diamond

cayugad
LK93 with a Simmons Pro Diamond

Post by cayugad » February 25th, 2012, 6:34 pm

Since I had changed out the Simmons Pro Diamond 4x32mm that was on a Green Mountain Barrel for a PowderHorn, I had a Simmons 4x32mm Pro Diamond scope laying around. I remembered that one of my Knight LK 93 50 caliber rifles had a T/C Hawken 1x32mm scope on it still. So I decided to swap them out.

And since I had nothing to do today, why not sight in the scope. It was 25 degrees and snowing, windy, overcast, cold, kind of perfect weather...

So I looked up the rifle's favorite load in my notes, and discovered it liked 85 grains of 3f black powder and a 240 grain XTP. Not having any 240 grain XTP's currently, I got out a box of Thompson Center Cheap Shots. These are pure lead and are supposed to shoot like an XTP. These are also a 240 grain bullet and come with their own sabot. I suspect the sabot to be a MMP. I also grabbed a pound of Graf's and Sons 3f black powder off the shelf.

The target was set at 25 yard. And I like to shoot a little high at that 25 yard distance when I sight in. Well my surprise was the first shot was perfect. I need to congratulate myself on setting the scope. So with no adjustment what so ever, I shot eight rounds. The one round that is out of the group was when my new THE ROCK rest slipped on the icy table and my rifle shifted. It also (the sling mount) poked a hole in my new rest. Needless to say I was kind of mad about that. I'd had to shovel the snow off the shooting table, but it was coated with a nice thick frost.

So I pulled the target down and then shot twice at the 86 yard paint cans that I keep hanging down on the end of the range in front of the spruce blocks. The rifle is dead on down there as well. And I left two swingers down there. I never walked down to see the actual hits.. just easier to watch the can swing.

So that was an easy mount and a lot of fun shooting today. These little LK rifles are sure a sweet little rifle.

sabotloader

Re: LK93 with a Simmons Pro Diamond

Post by sabotloader » February 25th, 2012, 6:47 pm

cayugad

Nice shooten' as usual Dave... That LK-Wolverine series of guns is one that I do not have, but coming from the mold, sort of, of the MK 85 it has got to be a good gun...

I keep telling Grouse the same thing... support the gun in the rest farther back on the stock... like where your hand might be in real life... then the sling post will not get your bag... Glue a good piece of leather onto the torn bag and that will take care of the puncture.
Keep on Shooting Muzzleloaders - They are a blast

wesley396

Post by wesley396 » February 29th, 2012, 4:16 am

CAYUGAD, have you ever shot any 2F powder out of your LK93 with a heavier bullet say 260 to 300 grain.
Can you tell me how it did compared to 3F powder?

cayugad

Post by cayugad » March 3rd, 2012, 9:20 pm

I normally shoot 2f powder out of most of my rifles. And in the LK I often shoot 300 grain XTP's and 375 grain Buffalo Bullet SSB's with excellent accuracy. That LK will shot about anything I stuff down it.

fisheyesmn

Post by fisheyesmn » March 6th, 2012, 5:33 pm

Try the black sabot and the .451 Speer 260 JHP with 100 to 105 of 2FG. I believe you will find it to be extremely accurate. It is sub MOA at 100 for me. Good Luck. The bullet is not good on bone, but in the chest the deer will not go far.

cayugad

Post by cayugad » March 13th, 2012, 9:53 am

I've also had excellent luck with the Harvester Scorpion Funnel Nose 260 grain and the Scorpion 260 grain PT. I still only use 85 grains of 2f Goex but the accuracy is outstanding. I am sure that bullet can be pushed much faster. But with that short barrel I wonder about diminished returns for the amount of powder. I have shot them with 100 grains and they did fine, but I see that as a max load for the little rifle.

Return to “Wolverine”