older knight wolverine 209 conversion

longrifle 67
older knight wolverine 209 conversion

Post by longrifle 67 » February 28th, 2013, 10:06 pm

I just bought an older knight stainless wolverine 209 conversion 50 cal that I would like some help with. What is the model # of this gun? ser# is S008487. I think this gun has the breech plug for the 209 FPJ which is illegal to hunt with in Idaho. Can you fire a musket cap over this nipple stack? It fits, but splays out as you push it down. Also, I found a breech plug for the 50 cal. LK MK USAK BK TK bighorn and littlehorn @ numrich arms that takes the 1/4x28 thread nipples. If this will work I will convert to this breech plug and go with the #11 caps or musket caps. Does the firing pin/ striker need to be changed from the conical pointed one that came with the gun? I have read so many horror stories of caps blowing off and etc that I want to ask first before I ruin my day big time! I think this is going to be a great hunting gun if I can get everything dialed in right. Thanks in advance for your advise

longrifle 67

Re: older knight wolverine 209 conversion

Post by longrifle 67 » March 1st, 2013, 4:35 pm

OK. new info. This apparently is a model LK becuz of the rounded receiver. The folks at Knight rifles( 866-518-4181) said that the original hammer with the conical pointed firing pin is ok to use with the #11 and musket caps. I won't pierce a primer, which was my concern. but you must have the # 900023 breech plug with 1/4x28 nipples. This has been quite an adventure trying to find the parts to convert this back to #11 caps. If I didn't like the gun so much, I would have given up and traded it. But I think the effort will be worth it next season. I have a 54 cal hawken, but I like this gun becuz it is weatherproof for the late season hunts we get here in Idaho. The rules were written for the Idaho fish and game by members of the local black powder club, and they are 100% primitive weapon only. They didn't even want inlines at first, but had to relent. No sabots, jacketed bullets, powder pellets. optics, 209 primers, enclosed caps in breech, etc. BTW. the folks at Knight rifles were very helpful. It took a while to get thru, but they resolved my questions. They apologized for the wait, but said they have been swamped with calls. If anyone wants this 209 breech plug, PM me and we can do a deal. I think this needs the FPJs to work, but I am not sure. It is in great shape.

foglesco

Post by foglesco » March 3rd, 2013, 4:02 pm

So did you find the breech plug and nipple that you needed?

longrifle 67

Post by longrifle 67 » March 4th, 2013, 12:16 pm

Yeah, I have found the correct breech plug at Numrich Arms and the nipples at Gamaliel Shooting supply. I think I;m good there, but I was just wondering if the 209 hammer face will be ok with the the #11 nipples. It has a machined conical pointed detonator (firing pin?) in the face of the hammer. If anyone has a wolverine that is set up for musket caps or #11 caps I would appreciate if they would look at their hammer face and advise me if theirs is similar or different. It's probably ok, I just want to be certain. I'll try firing a few caps when the nipples arrive in the mail. If they pop consistently, Then we'll try it with a load and see. Anyone with more experience on this is welcome and appreciated.

foglesco

Post by foglesco » March 5th, 2013, 5:15 pm

The hammers for #11 caps is flat. However for awhile bighorns were shipped with the hammer you are talking about with both a 209 breech plug and another for #11 and musket caps. It was my understanding the conical faced hammer would reliably detonate all the different types of ignitions.

longrifle 67

Post by longrifle 67 » March 9th, 2013, 2:07 pm

Thanks, foglesco. The replacement hammer would be a bit more than I wanted to go, even if I could find one. This has been a real scavenger hunt for parts.The replacement front sight and ramp was the most difficult to find. God bless Brownell's!

jrhambone23

Post by jrhambone23 » March 16th, 2013, 11:20 pm

i have a flat face or #11 hammer assembly i would trade for the conical hammer assembly if you are interested ? i need one for my 209 bk ... shoot me a email ...jhamblen2006@yahoo.com ....thanks .... :)

manofsteel

Post by manofsteel » October 26th, 2013, 6:38 am

longrifle 67 wrote:Thanks, foglesco. The replacement hammer would be a bit more than I wanted to go, even if I could find one. This has been a real scavenger hunt for parts.The replacement front sight and ramp was the most difficult to find. God bless Brownell's!
could you share what part number you purchased for the replacement front sight and ramp? I have lost mine. i have a older knight wolverine that is stainless steel with the black synthetic stock and use the #11 caps and it is flat. Have not hunted with it in about 5 years because i got into bow hunting and have been lucky enough to fill all my tags during bow season. This year due to traveling have not even hunted yet so looking for using the muzzle loader. It is a great shooting gun. I shoot the Pyrodex select, 100 grains and the Knight Red Hot 50 cal bullets that is a 45 cal in a plastic sabot. I found this to be the most accurate out of my gun. At 50 yards using sand bags it shoots exactly 1 inch high and the group is so tight the hole for each shot almost touch. Have put down quite a few dear that I knew was 100 yards from my ground blind because i measured off the 100 yards and put up a feeder and it puts the round right where i was aiming at. I do have a Bushnell Trophy 3-9 scope mounted on it. I lost the owners manual for it and now trying to find a replacemet manual.

applec

Post by applec » March 31st, 2014, 1:08 am

The kids metal detector ,you can get more details at detectorall.com

Return to “Wolverine”