Powder Charge in Pyrodex pellets

19694x4
Powder Charge in Pyrodex pellets

Post by 19694x4 » October 9th, 2012, 8:25 pm

Hi, I am new to the forum and would like to learn some details on a muzzle loader I recently purchased as a used weapon. It is an older .50 cal inline Wolverine with a camo composite stock. I did not get an owners manual with it so I am not sure what is the recommended max amount of powder to use, what grain bullet to use for whitetail deer in middle Georgia. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks 4x4

GMB54-120

Re: Powder Charge in Pyrodex pellets

Post by GMB54-120 » October 10th, 2012, 8:45 am

Here is an online manual. Page 34 covers the Wolverine

http://images.ebsco.com/pob/krwarranty/ ... _29_11.pdf

I don't care for pellets but try 100gr. Most guns don't shoot well with 3 pellet loads. Loose powder will allow you to adjust your charge in smaller amounts and its much cheaper.
Green Mountain 54-120 Brush Gun
Elite 45 blued
Original DISC 45 SS
LRH 52cal

Whiskerfish

Post by Whiskerfish » December 7th, 2012, 2:05 pm

In my 93 the best accuracy has been with 90 grains of loose powder shooting a 240 grain sabot.

Ron1369

Post by Ron1369 » December 11th, 2012, 6:41 pm

I am fairly new to BP guns myself and have only used the Pyrodex pellets to shoot with so this may be a dumb question but how do you load a BP gun using loose powder??

Sirs

Post by Sirs » December 27th, 2012, 2:05 am

Ron1369 wrote:I am fairly new to BP guns myself and have only used the Pyrodex pellets to shoot with so this may be a dumb question but how do you load a BP gun using loose powder??
There is never a dumb question asked just those not asked. Now to answer your question you buy a powder measure to measure it with, then pour it into one of the quick loads or whatever you want to use to carry your extra loads in. Then you just pour it into the end of the barrel, of course you can just measure it then pour straight into the barrel from measuring instrument.

longrifle 67

Post by longrifle 67 » March 9th, 2013, 8:44 pm

I wouldn't exceed 120 grs. These knight guns have American made barrels, and should be safe with reasoable powder loads. Some of the spanish made barrels have ruptured when fed too much powder. That's another reason to use loose powder, instead of going up in 50 gr increments with the pellets. I cringe when I hear You-tubers say" just stoke 'er up and tech 'er off. You can't hurt 'er." Read some of Randy Wakeman's blogs on this issue.

fifacoins07

Post by fifacoins07 » September 1st, 2014, 12:16 am

On many people sup snowbunniect my business is definitely not indicating adequately guaranteed everything you could learn.

Return to “Wolverine”