Bighorn

Wendy Jones
Bighorn

Post by Wendy Jones » August 7th, 2012, 10:03 pm

What is the best powder load using pyrodex pellets for this rifle?

DiscMan

Re: Bighorn

Post by DiscMan » October 8th, 2012, 7:09 pm

I like the 250 grain Barnes, those sold by Knight listed as the Red Hot sku:M900590, they can be orderted direct or from your local Knight dealer. Have a blessed day and allways shoot a Knight.

Wecanoe2

Post by Wecanoe2 » December 10th, 2012, 3:33 pm

Wendy,

This is a newbie's answer. I have loaded with 2 50 g Pyrodex pellets and #11 caps since acquiring my Bighorn. I have shot about 50 rounds through it in three years. I decided to hold the propellant variable constant until my shooting steadied before trying other powder loads. Best results happened the other day. Went out to unload the BH after elk season (Barnes 250 g copper sabots) and ran a five more rounds through it using Knight 305 g lead hp sabots.

The first shot, 90 yds. prone, with the 250 g Barnes copper sabot left over from elk hunting, was a bit of a flyer. The next two rounds (Knight 305) were within 1 inch of each other, about 6" low and 3" right. Then shot three at 60 yds leaning on a tree, about 3" high and mostly on center. Also one inch group. Swabbing between shots with both sides of spit wet patch and dry patch.

Those groupings (less the first flyer) are the best I've ever shot with open sights (Williams fiber optic, came with the BH). We'll see whether they are repeatable. I usually feel good with a 2" group at 50 yds,with either Barnes 250 or Knight 305.

I guess bottom line for me is that 2 50 g Pyrodex pellets with #11 caps seem to deliver reasonably consistent results.

The Knight 305 g sabots may shoot a bit tighter than the Barnes 250 g and both better than 250 Powerbelts.

The Knight sabots also fit tighter, taking serious work to load. The Barnes are easier and the Powerbelts can be placed home with just about a thumb and forefinger on the ram rod.

That's all I know for now. Good luck.

rsgold09

Post by rsgold09 » September 13th, 2013, 10:31 pm

Having unique Runescape cherished. 100 % pure titans you need to fix ones demon is normally chaotic to offer unremitting attempts.

GMB54-120

Post by GMB54-120 » September 15th, 2013, 2:52 am

rsgold09 wrote:Having unique Runescape cherished. 100 % pure titans you need to fix ones demon is normally chaotic to offer unremitting attempts.
Awesome!!!

It looks like we have a new spammer. I would avoid clicking on his links.
Green Mountain 54-120 Brush Gun
Elite 45 blued
Original DISC 45 SS
LRH 52cal

wildstargoldvip

Post by wildstargoldvip » July 17th, 2014, 10:54 pm

Yeah. I am so happy that you can in here. great!

Return to “Bighorn”