Rear Peep

Zmax
Rear Peep

Post by Zmax » September 20th, 2013, 6:06 pm

The bigger part of my life has been spent training myself to acquire targets using a peep sight. I would really like to try a rear peep on the Bighorn. Knight does not have one in their accessories. Do you know if there is an after market sight out there?

GMB54-120

Re: Rear Peep

Post by GMB54-120 » September 20th, 2013, 10:02 pm

Green Mountain 54-120 Brush Gun
Elite 45 blued
Original DISC 45 SS
LRH 52cal

Zmax

Post by Zmax » September 22nd, 2013, 9:08 pm

Thanks form the reply. I have one on the way.

usmcssgt

Post by usmcssgt » October 11th, 2013, 3:31 pm

I love the peep on my Bighorn

GMB54-120

Post by GMB54-120 » October 12th, 2013, 2:31 am

Congrats, you will not find a better deal on a Williams Fool Proof peep. The "target" elevation knob Williams sells for it is also a nice addon for the peep and not too difficult to install.
Green Mountain 54-120 Brush Gun
Elite 45 blued
Original DISC 45 SS
LRH 52cal

Steve_

Post by Steve_ » December 4th, 2016, 3:30 pm

As far as open sites go...the Williams rear site proposed by 'Rear Peep' is very good one. It is definitely what I would use for target shooting. Some folks might prefer a more-streamlined version that doesn't hang off the side of the barrel, which could end up snagging on your sweater or something else out in the field. There is one, and it is also made by Williams. It is the Williams WGRS-Legend Guide Receiver Peep Sight. Check it out at Midway USA for about $35.

If you aren't concerned with snagging the sites on something, then you might also consider a front site other than the fiber optics from the factory. Here's one option - it's a combination of the Marble Arms - Dovetail Front Ramp ($12) and Lyman Target Front Sight Model 17 AHB .404" Height ($40), both from Brownells. I believe the Lyman globe site came with a card with a variety of inserts. If it doesn't come with something you can use, you can order one from Brownells. Have a look at the Lee Shaver Post & Aperture Card, 17A Sight. The aperture inserts are pricey at $22, though.

It should be noted that the Marble Arms dovetail only matched up to mount with one screw instead of two, and that I had to locktite the Lyman dovetail into the Marble Arms dovetail to get it to center and stay put. That sounds pretty shaky, I'll admit, but it has worked out well so far - I can get very nice groups with this combination at 200 yds. I suppose you could have a gunsmith drill and tap a hole for a second screw on the front. If someone else found a better dovetail for the front, I'd be interested in knowing.

Return to “Bighorn”