Cryogenic Tempering

Zmax
Cryogenic Tempering

Post by Zmax » October 7th, 2012, 1:54 am

Just purchased a new Bighorn. On the range it's holding good groups, considering who's shooting. A few years ago I purchased a Ruger Mini-30. The barrel on the Mini was not what I had hope for, had heat and accuracy problems. I ended up sending the mini barrel off to be cryo treated. It came back a new barrel, not a perfect barrel but better than prior to. The heat problem wasn't as bad and the accuracy was improved.

On to the question, are these Green Mountain barrels treated or would it be worth sending the Bighorn barrel out for a treatment?

sabotloader

Re: Cryogenic Tempering

Post by sabotloader » October 7th, 2012, 9:12 pm

I will try to answer this but the site will not allow much of a coversation... Knight had a series of rifles trea Cryogenically, the Master Hunter Cryogenic, I believe it did add a benefit to the barrel, i am just not sure it would make enough of a difference to justify the cost...
Keep on Shooting Muzzleloaders - They are a blast

Zmax

Post by Zmax » October 10th, 2012, 11:54 am

Thanks for the reply. Once the hunting season is over I will send the barrel off and get it treated. My other barrel only cost me $35 + shipping. If it helps any at all it will be worth it. I'll save some target groups for a before and after comparison.

sabotloader

Post by sabotloader » October 13th, 2012, 11:03 am

Zmax wrote:Thanks for the reply. Once the hunting season is over I will send the barrel off and get it treated. My other barrel only cost me $35 + shipping. If it helps any at all it will be worth it. I'll save some target groups for a before and after comparison.
Shoot that is a good deal... $35 should not break anybodies bank....
Keep on Shooting Muzzleloaders - They are a blast

Return to “Bighorn”