Selecting The Proper Powder and Bullet for Western Legal

Since1983
Selecting The Proper Powder and Bullet for Western Legal

Post by Since1983 » September 22nd, 2016, 11:14 am

I recently purchased a Mountaineer and tried the recommended Triple F powder and Parker conical bullets .440 grain for Western legal muzzleloading in Idaho. I set up at 50 yards per Knight recommendations. At 100 gr. of powder the first shot was about 12 inches below the target. As I increased the powder load the shots dropped further below the target. As I decreased the powder load the shots climbed up to the target. Even with the sights adjusted all the way up I still could not climb above the bull's eye. I used the KWS musket cap. I was looking for some suggestions to guide me in selecting the right bullet and powder for better accuracy.

a1smokepole

Re: Selecting The Proper Powder and Bullet for Western Legal

Post by a1smokepole » September 24th, 2016, 11:22 am

with big lead bullets I would start with 50gr and go up 100gr is like the upper end for that bullet . you don't have to push heavy lead bullet to shoot good. or you using a wad under your bullet. what cal gun or you using

Since1983

Post by Since1983 » September 25th, 2016, 12:06 pm

I have a .50 caliber. I use the felt wadding under the bullets which came with the Parker Hydra-Cone bullets. I lube the bullets as well. Will reducing the powder load of Triple 7 to 50 grains of powder reduce the knock down power or range of the rifle? I also have some Swiss Premium black powder, triple F. Would you recommend experimenting with that to see what kind of results I get?

I noticed the picture of a target the Parkers sent to me had Blackhorn 209 written on the target. 209 primers are not legal to hunt with in Idaho. Should I try sighting the rifle in at 25 yards instead of 50 or stay with the 50 yards that Knight recommends?

a1smokepole

Post by a1smokepole » September 25th, 2016, 7:31 pm

With a 440gr bullet you will have good knock down with lead you keep the speed low plus you what lead up your barrel. you can try swiss just to see what your gun likes what does the bullet load like loss or tight. plus what or you lubing the bullet with. 50yd and 100yd will work fine

Return to “Mountaineer”