New Mountaineer

Doeslayer
New Mountaineer

Post by Doeslayer » November 2nd, 2015, 9:17 pm

I have been reading here a long time. Decided to get .45 caliber muzzleloader to primarily hunt deer with out of box blinds. I have had a few knights and they are one of the only companies out there selling a .45 these days. Decided to go with a Mountaineer and let my daughter pick the model since she will be using it as well. She wanted the gray thumbhole stock. Well the rifle finally showed on Friday and I scoped it with a Leupold 3-10x40 and wanted to get it on paper so we could do some shooting with it before the late season gets here. To say I am impressed with it is an understatement. Very well built and it definitely looks like it wants to shoot. Three rounds to get on paper and then let it sit for awhile and shoot three to see what it will do. A nice cloverleaf group. The load was 90 grains of BlackHorn 209 by volume and Barnes 195gr Expanders. I think it will be just the ticket!

a1smokepole

Re: New Mountaineer

Post by a1smokepole » November 2nd, 2015, 10:48 pm

That looks like it will get the job done. was that at 100yds

Doeslayer

Post by Doeslayer » November 3rd, 2015, 7:55 am

Yes, 100 yards. Wish I could do some more shooting this week but it is dark when I get out of work now. I will stretch it out this weekend and see what it does out to 200 yards.

a1smokepole

Post by a1smokepole » November 3rd, 2015, 8:51 pm

You may what to up your powder charge for 200yds.

Doeslayer

Post by Doeslayer » November 4th, 2015, 6:03 pm

Yea, I plan to up the powder and see how it reacts. Wanted to start on the low end to hopefully find an accurate load with less recoil for my daughter. That was the primary reason for the purchase, a rifle for her to use during muzzleloader season. The 90gr load should fill that bill. We will see what it is capable of with other loads and extended ranges. Overall I am very happy with the rifle.

Return to “Mountaineer”