Mountaineer Grouping

Randy803
Re: Mountaineer Grouping

Post by Randy803 » November 16th, 2015, 12:19 pm

Opinions are like A**holes so here is mine :)

Preface:
I have been a long range rifle builder and shooter for 20 years. I have done a lot of work for the US Military competitors but I am new to Muzzle Loaders. It was difficult for me to enter this aspect of firearms because I am an accuracy fanatic. When I build a center fire rifle if it will not shoot 1 hole at 100yrds it is useless to me. I have had to accept a little wider groups with muzzle loaders but not by much with the Knight rifle.

Something is wrong as I am shooting groups under 1" at 100yards without even playing with powder loads yet (.45 cal rifle). I started at 100gr By volume topped with a Hornady SST 200gr red tip sabot bullet. I have the feeling when I get this rifle dialed in I will be punching 1 ragged hole 3 shot groups at 100 yards. I have many years of long range shooting under my belt and there are a lot of variables to shooting a rifle. I assume you are shooting from a fixed supported position, your optics are good and mounted solidly. I have seen so many times the issue is in a sub-par scope causing poor groupings as it will not hold precise zero. As a rule my scopes cost much more than my rifles..

Often times it is the shooter not the rifle but lets assume all is good with your optics and shooting ability (no offense just being thorough), you now have to find the bullet and load your rifle likes. Sounds like you are shooting a .50 and inherently it will not be as accurate as a .45 but you should be able to achieve 1" MOA if not better at 100yards. Another thing to note is Stainless barrels usually need to be shot in, they become more accurate as they are fired, it is lap in.

As mentioned before NO LUBE, treat this as a center fire rifle.

Some Tips to help get real accurate

* Keep the powder load consistent
* Try to load and seat the bullet with the same pressure\force each time
* DO NOT clean the rifle between shots
* Start with lighter bullets to insure they are properly stabilized
* Make SMALL changes and only one at a time
* Consistency Consistency Consistency

It is tempting to try and hurry the accuracy but do not. Take your time and shoot strings of at least 3 rounds with each bullet and charge. It will take some time but when you find it you will smile!

One last thing... Sometimes a rifle will just not shoot. Only the gods know why. Luckily this is an exception rather than a rule...

75+yrsWihntr

Post by 75+yrsWihntr » December 17th, 2015, 12:41 pm

try bullets from Harvester. I get 1 to 1 1/2 in groups with their 300 gr Gold Tips @ 100 yds

Novemberelk

Post by Novemberelk » April 1st, 2016, 12:54 am

what is the cleaning strategy at the range if your not using blackhorn?

I use RS powder and live in oregon so my gun is western ready. I use the German number 11 caps and no Sabot. I shoot 350 grain maxi hunter and 110 grains by volume RS.

Thanks

Novemberelk

Post by Novemberelk » June 24th, 2016, 2:33 am

bump...