Western Shooting Today...

sabotloader
Western Shooting Today...

Post by sabotloader » May 14th, 2015, 9:58 pm

I have no real reason why but today I decided I wanted to do some Western Shooting, open sights, percussion caps, and full bore conicals.

I chose to use some Bloodline .500x325 gr. bullets. The bullets are slightly to small to fit the bore of the Ultra-Lite, so I do have to knurl them by hand to create enough lift on the bullet to have it hold in the barrel. But the best part is without sabots I really did not have to worry that much about the ambient temperatures and/or the heat of the barrel.

When I got to the Rock Pit, I set up 6 birds on the Basalt rock wall 100 yards down the pit. The rifle had already been sighted in so I was confident of its ability to hit the birds.

Here is a few pictures that show the shoot. It was so much fun I did end up setting a second set of birds and picking them off also. One thing I need to work on is my knurling. Some bullets loaded with much less pressure than others so I would like to come up with a more equal method of knurling. I was not concerned about gas pressure as I was loading the bullet on top of a MMP sub-bridge to act as a wad. The bridges have worked very well for me with any conical that I shoot including full bore lead conicals.

It was fun morning and I did get to shoot!!
Keep on Shooting Muzzleloaders - They are a blast

Return to “Mountaineer”