In the Rock Pit - Crushing Basalt

sabotloader
In the Rock Pit - Crushing Basalt

Post by sabotloader » May 15th, 2014, 4:51 pm

Yesterday was a great morning to get out - so I headed to the Rock Pit with my Western Edition Mountaineer. I wanted to complete my project of getting the rifle sighted in with the new bullet that I had gotten from Bull Shop Dan. In Idaho we are required to use open sights and full bore lead conicals and I was switching from the my normal .503x460 grain Bull Shop to a lighter faster version a .503x350 grain lead conical.

When I got to the rock pit I set up a paper target @ 75 yards and completed the sight in that I was happy and confident with. After that I brought the paper target back in and walked 6 clay pigeons out to the rock wall to complete the shoot. The wall ranges about 100 yards from my portable bench.

I am shooting 110 grains of T7-3f ignited with a #11 Mag cap, I have in the past used a shot card under the bullet to keep the intense heat of the burning T7 from melting the bottom of the lead projectile. But for the last several months I have been using a MMP 50 cal. Sub Base instead of the card for the insulative effect plus adding to the capture of pressure behind the sub base.

It only took 5 shots to complete the paper project - then it was on the to real fun - shooting something that would break. I set six birds on the wall and began a systematic shoot down... The first 6 were so much fun I set up another 4 and worked them down to nothing.

Here is a composite picture of the shoot...

Keep on Shooting Muzzleloaders - They are a blast

Return to “Mountaineer”