Bolt disassembly?

snaildarter
Bolt disassembly?

Post by snaildarter » July 8th, 2013, 9:25 am

I got my mountaineer and am trying to get to the range, if it ever quits raining!!

Is it necessary to disassemble the bolt (bare 209 primer) and clean if only firing BH209? What about the trigger group?

How do you disassemble the bolt, the manual is not that clear.

Thanks,
Ben

Typical171

Re: Bolt disassembly?

Post by Typical171 » July 9th, 2013, 11:51 am

You probably don't need to clean the bolt assembly that often, but I like to clean it every time the bore get a cleaning. (after every range outage). As far as the trigger group, not much gets in there from normal shooting but its still a good idea to pull the stock off once a year a clean it up. To disassemble the bolt first screw down the secondary safety till it touches the back of the bolt. Take note of the gap between the firing pin assembly and bolt assembly. Place your thumb on the firing pin assembly as shown in the pic. Unscrew the firing pin assembly from the bolt assembly. You will notice a little click feeling when it cams out of the detent. Be careful not to unscrew the secondary safety too much as this can cause the firing pin not to set off the primer. Just make sure when you reassemble that there is a small gap between the firing pin assemble and bolt assembly.
ImageImageImage
Last edited by Typical171 on July 12th, 2013, 8:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.

snaildarter

Post by snaildarter » July 9th, 2013, 1:26 pm

thanks!!

snaildarter

Post by snaildarter » July 15th, 2013, 8:37 am

Finally made it to the range. I've got some work to do on the groups, but for the first 3 shots I'm happy. I was shooting 100 gr (by volume) of BH209, Fed 209A primer, silver sabot and hornady .458 300gr hp bullet. I was in a hurry so the shots were one right after the other, no cooling time and it was hot that day. I was at 50 yards.

Typical171

Post by Typical171 » July 19th, 2013, 9:46 am

Thats a great start. You may know this already, but here is my 2-cents worth. I have found that bullet fit to your barrel is debatably the most important step to a tight group. You defiantly don't want them too loose and too tight isn't good either. A .002-.004 press fit is probably where it will group the best. Allow that barrel to cool in between shots, those sabots will degrade from the heat of the barrel and therefore not give you consistent velocities, which in turn will open up your groups. 10-15 minutes cool down. Also make sure when seating your bullet with moderate pressure, that you do so consistently the same every time. Good luck and happy shooting!

sqezer

Post by sqezer » October 20th, 2013, 7:12 pm

Thanks for posting the pictures of the bolt, I sent sabotloader a picture of the bolt taken all the way apart, this is something I would advise you not to do. I did it because I bought a used Knight that was put away wet, everything came out OK but reassembling the bolt was a real challenge.

a1smokepole

Post by a1smokepole » October 20th, 2013, 7:38 pm

push it to 110gr to 125gr and that will tighting things up if that's a 52cal. plus you have to brake in the bore coating.I take my bolt apart every range trip not that it needs it just good maintence.

sourdough44

Post by sourdough44 » October 26th, 2013, 2:59 pm

I take my bolt apart after each shooting session or hunt when the gun was fired. It only takes a few minutes. I normally swab the inside with a patch dampened with Hoppes #9.

snaildarter

Post by snaildarter » November 13th, 2013, 6:36 pm

Well I have shot my mountaineer alot since I've last posted. I got a good shooting load, 90gr BH209, Win 209 primer and hornady 300gr hp (.458). I also killed a doe with it today. I am happy with my purchase, especially after switching to the winchester primers! I was getting alot of blowback with the federal ones.

The target was shot at 100 yards, Redfield Revenge 3-9x40 scope.

Doe I shot today.

On my hit list for next week...

sourdough44

Post by sourdough44 » November 20th, 2013, 6:38 am

Looking great, now bag that buck. I'm heading to IL on Thursday to look for the big boy. I'll have a slug gun for backup, but my main gun is a 45 cal Knight.

Return to “Mountaineer”