Primer options

cessna
Primer options

Post by cessna » February 22nd, 2013, 11:48 am

Considering a Mountaineer Ultra-Lite in 50cal. Is there any great difference in getting the open primer as opposed to the jacketed primer option?
I understand the weather consideration of the jacketed primer, just not sure I want to deal with the jackets all the time.

GMB54-120

Re: Primer options

Post by GMB54-120 » February 23rd, 2013, 9:37 am

I have several Knights and i converted all of them to bare primer. The DISCs are a tiny bit easier to load in the field but they are much dirtier. The bare primer is a little bit better for Blackhorn209 powder. Both work just fine in bad weather.

I would get the bare primer model and buy the FPJ bolt and plug later if you feel you need it.
Green Mountain 54-120 Brush Gun
Elite 45 blued
Original DISC 45 SS
LRH 52cal

cessna

Post by cessna » February 23rd, 2013, 5:18 pm

Thanks GMB54-120
That's good information, I mostly will shoot Blackhorn 209.

bigbullelk

Post by bigbullelk » July 5th, 2013, 9:06 pm

Just wanted to give you my thoughts. I have switched to bare primer on all of my Knight muzzleloaders. I am a left handed shooter and many times have got hit in the face with blow by. Not every time but it was on my mind before every shot. That is no good! Since going to the the bare primer, that has stopped because there is no blow by anymore. I did have to change primers but no big deal. The other reason I went to the bare primer is because now when gun goes off, its all going down the barrel, there is nothing releasing out the back end of breech plug. Has that made a difference in my groups? I'm not sure but my LRH has never shot better since I switched. I think you will be very happy with either set up. Find out what your gun likes!

JRW

Return to “Mountaineer”