IMR White Hot Pellets

jlindsay+
IMR White Hot Pellets

Post by jlindsay+ » January 1st, 2013, 12:19 am

I am getting ready to buy a new Mountaineer (50 cal). I've never owned an in-line ML. I have been reading some good things about these White Hot Pellets. Can anyone give me some feedback? Also what is the best primer to use for this riffle. I'd like to hear what powder you folks think is best and just any general info that may help. Thninking about these new Bloodline bullets as well. Thanks in advance.

hunterwhop

Re: IMR White Hot Pellets

Post by hunterwhop » January 1st, 2013, 1:52 pm

I shoot loose black powder like because found my mountaineer most accurate with 115 grains and 250 grain bloodlines. all are different I like black powder because have never had a misfire while using it but have had using pryodex have never tried the pellets but have heard they have to put traces of black powder on them to get them to ignite. black powder is getiing harder to find but clubs usually have 25 pounds or so to split. or you can order from goex in 5 pound lots google goex and you will find them

GMB54-120

Post by GMB54-120 » January 1st, 2013, 11:44 pm

The worst thing about White Hots is they are the most expensive propellant per shot. You only get 36 2 pellet loads from a pack IIRC. They are not any faster than Triple7 pellets and still suffer from the Triple7 crud ring. Pellets don't store as well either, keep the box of pellets in a ziplock bag or tupperware.

Loose Triple7 3FG or 2FG is cheaper per shot and provides more fine tuning of the load....Swab with a moist windex patch (not soaking wet) between shots and then run a dry patch with any Triple7 to remove the crud ring. Clean up with soap/water, dry thoroughly and oil when done.

You can also use BlackHorn209 powder if you get the bare 209 primer version and not worry about swabbing between shots. Shoot all day and clean it when you are done shooting. Make sure you get regular 209 shotshell primers like a Win209 or a FED209A, not the over priced ML only primers. Blackhorn209 gets cleaned up at the end of the day with solvents like Hoppes #9 or Hoppes Elite or any good CLP.
Green Mountain 54-120 Brush Gun
Elite 45 blued
Original DISC 45 SS
LRH 52cal

jlindsay+

Post by jlindsay+ » January 4th, 2013, 11:16 pm

Thanks for the feedback. Sorry it took so long to reply back. I'm in Afghanistan and trying to do as much research as I can before I return. I'm definitely going to get the bare primer version and since I have all the black powder stuff left from my old percussion cap days, I may try that Blackhorn 209 powder. I still have a whole can of real Black Powder and a jug of Pyrodex. Guess I'll dispose of that stuff.
Thanks again.
John

Return to “Mountaineer”