Remington Primers

tommyfishes
Remington Primers

Post by tommyfishes » December 26th, 2012, 4:16 pm

I recently purchased the Knight Mountaineer, On the specifications page it states: Ignition: Full Plastic Jacket or 209 Bare Primer (excludes Remington primers). My question? why wont the Remington STS primers work in the mountaineer? i have searched the web over......there is no explanation why these will not work.

hunterwhop

Re: Remington Primers

Post by hunterwhop » December 27th, 2012, 1:52 pm

I used a few in my moutaineer bare primer and they sometimes get stuck in the breech and have to take a knife and pry them out or the bolt wont pull back I think remingtons are a little larger than most I use cci 209m and have no problems was out so the remingtons were all i had the last hunt so..... not that big of a deal to pry them loose to pull bolt back do not know about plastic caps problem though hope this helps

sabotloader

Re: Remington Primers

Post by sabotloader » December 29th, 2012, 11:25 am

tommyfishes wrote:I recently purchased the Knight Mountaineer, On the specifications page it states: Ignition: Full Plastic Jacket or 209 Bare Primer (excludes Remington primers). My question? why wont the Remington STS primers work in the mountaineer? i have searched the web over......there is no explanation why these will not work.
Remington Primers are shorter in length and more importantly larger in diameter than other primers and in the case of the NFPJ breech plug - they may get stuck after they are insterted into the plug by the bolt. In the FPJ version )red plastic jacket) I do not think there are a concern.

It is a fairly easy to fix the diameter problem buy running a .242-3 straight reamer in the breech plug pocket. This will allow the Remington to be used...

If this is a newer Mountaineer the problem may have already been fixed at the factory...
Keep on Shooting Muzzleloaders - They are a blast

Return to “Mountaineer”