Experimenting at the Farm

sabotloader
Experimenting at the Farm

Post by sabotloader » October 1st, 2012, 7:36 pm

Last night I made a decsion that I was going to use the Mountaineer and an un-tried bullet for the upcoming deer season.

I had already kinda made the decision on the bullet for the early season elk season using the a DISC 52. But the few days I was out I did not get the opportunity to pull the trigger. I had cleaned the 52 up and put it away and at that time decided to use a the DISC Elite and a 40-200 Bloodline for the deer season. I have already proven that bullet to myself more than once.

Well after the change of mind - I decided to run to farm and make sure the Mountaineer was sighted in for this heavier bullet, really should not be a real problem as the gun was sighted in for the 458-275 gr. DOA.

Got to the farm and placed 4 birds @ 100 yards and a water tray... on a box for elevation. I carried the tray out empty and poured the water in the tray closed the lid and set it on the box so that it would be somewhat level to the shot. Not much about the farm that is level.

Loaded up two rounds and shot the first two birds... the tray was next... and this was the test... I wanted to know if this bullet would actually work from the muzzle loader. It is a rifle bullet built for the 45-70. I am shooting it at near 2000 fps and since the nose or the petals of this bullet are so much thicker than the petals for the ML Lehighs - I wanted to verify that they would actually come off in my water test or would the bullet not have enough velocity to break them off @ 100 and just pencil through.

All the questions have been answered... I can account for 4 of the 6 petals... the bullet did work and the gun is ready

I will give a try on a deer - I know it is an over kill but really want to get some testing in before late elk season...
Keep on Shooting Muzzleloaders - They are a blast

Return to “Mountaineer”