Mountaineer + Rock Pit ='s Fun!

sabotloader
Mountaineer + Rock Pit ='s Fun!

Post by sabotloader » September 12th, 2012, 8:29 pm

Got some time this morning so I went through the rifles thinking what should I shoot? I ened up with the 50 cal Mountaineer, I kinda felt guilty that it has sat there since hunting season with no attention at all.

It was a nice day, it had cooled down to the 70* type weather - except everything is Dry Dry Dry - makes the Rock Pit a natural...

I set a rack of birds up on the wall 100 yards down range. This rack of birds I decided to shoot of the bench with 3 different bullets. First of I would start with the 300 grain Bloodline, then the 305 grain Lehigh (I call it the buffalo bullet as my first encounter with it was a bunch of folks in an article talking about the bullet and harvesting buffalo from a 45-70 with them. They indicated that they were very hard on the buffalo). The last bullet I was going to use on the first setup was the Bloodline 458-275 grain, which I consider the best all-around bullet I shoot. I did leave the powder charge the same for all shoot 120 grains of T7-2f, ignited with a Remington 209-4 (a primer meant for the 410 shot gun) This is the mildest 209 primer I have or know of. I used the MMP HPH-458x50 Orange sabots for all shots.

Well, the first rack proved to be not a problem at all with all 3 different bullets - which is really what I expected at 100 yards.

The next rack was suppose to be six birds again, but when I got down there I has seven birds. So I placed all seven. The plan here was to shoot all seven birds with the 458-275 grain. I decided to go the first five from shooting sticks. I was not as good as I hoped I would be with the sticks - 5 birds seven shots and 3 of those I am sure I scared the bird to death... hit close enough to cause the bird to fall off its' perch and break. Two shots I felt I really had good hits on the birds.

Two birds left... and they were reserved for standing off-hand shooting. I ended up taking 4 shots at the two birds. I do not think I hit either bird square but shot #2 scared the left bird enough for it to fall off and break. Shot #4 - I really felt good about but again it appeared to be just a bit low, but enough to cause either rock chips or bullet fragments to fly into the bird and break it...

It was a fun afternoon...

Keep on Shooting Muzzleloaders - They are a blast

Return to “Mountaineer”