New Muzzleloader user

joker31
New Muzzleloader user

Post by joker31 » September 17th, 2014, 1:20 am

Hi everyone, I'm new here but not new kinda,

I used to hunt with a Hawken when I was a teen, before my Dads (Wounded Vietnam Vet, Agent Orange) injuries got too bad and we couldn't hunt any longer. I hunted for years later with a rifle until in 2010 I was wounded in Afghanistan. Now I'm trying to maximize my opportunities to hunt and extend the hunting time so I was looking into a muzzleloader. Someone at my Church heard me I guess when I was talking one week to someone and I went out to my truck and there was a Knight Disc rifle leaning against my truck in a box with a note saying that the owner couldn't use it any more and wanted me to have it. I have tried to figure it out but cant figure who gave it to me... I'm in a wheelchair (Getting an electric this week) and have some upper body strength but its kinda rough for me to do small tedious tasks like capping (I haven't tried because I don't have caps) to tell you the truth, I cant figure where to put it. I sent it to a local gunsmith to put the scope bases on and to clean it thoroughly. Can anyone tell me about my new muzzleloader, I was told by the smith that it was an old one but could be converted, he said it was a Disc rifle. I tried to get a manual but the phone kept saying everyone was out of the office.

Does it take 209 Caps? Where do you put them?
What powder is recommended?
I never shot Sabots in my old Hawken, I'm assuming that's what should be used in my new rifle.
I planned on scrapping enough money together to buy a used scope or a cheaper one, do I buy a special ML Scope?
Is buying a starter kit worth the money or will I not use most of the stuff that comes in the kits?

Thanks in advance Guys/Girls

a1smokepole

Re: New Muzzleloader user

Post by a1smokepole » September 17th, 2014, 7:34 pm

Ok lets start here first if you look at the side of the barrel it will tell you the caliber of the gun 45 or 50. next open the bolt and look at the breech plug does it look like this on the top. http://www.knightrifles.com/product/ora ... eech-plug/ if so it takes this disc. http://www.knightrifles.com/product/ori ... on-system/ you can shoot it just like it is before you up grade to see if you like it first and just get use to shooting it. just some good play time. do you have all the tools to remove the breech plug and clean the gun.

joker31

Post by joker31 » September 17th, 2014, 9:12 pm

I'm going to buy the ml specific tools and cleaning supplies but for now I think a socket will remove it and I'm going to get cleaning supplies, what do you guys recommend? I used soap and hot water before with the Hawken.

a1smokepole

Post by a1smokepole » September 17th, 2014, 11:07 pm

Hot water and soap works good and a bore brush with cleaning pitches and us a good gun oil in the bore not bore butter. the socket will do you just fine. what cal gun do you have and is the breech plug look like the one in the post. I would say us Triple 7 powder and win 209 primers. and get you one of theys to clean the threads works very good. its a cleaning rod and a 20ga bore brush on a drill.Image

joker31

Post by joker31 » September 22nd, 2014, 12:31 am

After talking to Knight about my rifle, I found out that it is a orange disc rifle, they told me that I should try a 250gr barnes with 100gr of 777 he told me it should be good to 150gr but its not necessary to go that high. He also told me that I should look into a conversion so I can use preloaded full plastic jackets. I'm assuming that 209s are what it uses without a conversions. I thank you for your help, I'm going to buy a 20ga setup like yours, I am going to try regular remoil because I have a small pocket sized bottle. Should I use a swab to clean between shots? do I have to adjust for temperature? I'm gong to hunt at 20-30deg 1000ft elevation and now shooting at 85deg and sea level

a1smokepole

Post by a1smokepole » September 22nd, 2014, 9:09 pm

Your good using the Barnes 250gr or 290gr TEZ with harvester crush rub sabots with 100gr to 120gr powder T-7. and yes you will have to swab between shoots and I have used windex window cleaner very light on the pitch then dry pitch . with elevation you should be good and the temp 20-30 deg your gun will shoot better groups at that temp then at 85 deg you don't have to back down just let your barrel cool good in hotter temps. it makes the sabots soft from the heat and will not group as good. and that flyer you will get. just before you go to shoot your gun clean all the oil out of the bore because oil and gun powder don't mix. I us denatured alcohol to clean the oil out plus you can us it after you clean with soap and water to help dry your bore then oil. do you need some orange disc have some I will give you. just send me a private message with address.

disc elite

Post by disc elite » February 18th, 2015, 2:49 pm

does anyone here know how many disc elites were made and why they stopped making them?

GMB54-120

Post by GMB54-120 » February 18th, 2015, 6:36 pm

disc elite wrote:does anyone here know how many disc elites were made and why they stopped making them?
Im not sure but posting the question 4 times in separate threads is typically considered a form of spamming.
Green Mountain 54-120 Brush Gun
Elite 45 blued
Original DISC 45 SS
LRH 52cal

Return to “DISC Extreme”