New to Me 45 cal DISC

sabotloader
New to Me 45 cal DISC

Post by sabotloader » January 30th, 2014, 12:27 pm

And the worst part now - I really like it!

This all occurred because I was looking for a empty Thumbhole stock that I could send down and get a new camo pattern applied to... CoHiCntry, listed a thumbhole in the classified but at that time the price was to high for me to move on. But then CoHiCntry decided to sell the whole rifle at what I considered a bargain basement price. In our communication he was completely forthcoming in that it had some pitting in the bore and some on the floor of the breech. I really did not want another pitted rifle because the MK with a Wiseman Barrel frustrates me enough as it is. For the price I was going to get the TH I wanted and a complete rifle... so when I computed it all out I thought I could make by scrapping barreled action and selling the good used parts. Then the seal on the deal came when Sqezer pm'ed me that he might be interested in the barreled action for a build he was contemplating. That sealed the deal...

Chris sent the rifle out and I was surprised at the overall condition... Deeply dark blued - it looked almost brand new - in fact I think the stock is new! The rifle is near mint condition. Well until I looked at the floor of the breech and the throat of the bore... just those two spots had what I will call minor pitting. That is when things really started to get brighter. The pitting on the floor of the breech is nothing! And the pitting in the throat will have nothing to do with accuracy. It is all below the powder level and on the bottom side of the bore. I am sure I can clean up the bulk of the worst and then when I do shoot it I only need to remember to clean the pitted area really well. Yes it will take a little extra effort but look at what I got or made - it is really nice looking...

A few years ago Sqezer and I completed a trade or I bought a rifle I can not remember for sure what but I ended up with a walnut stock from him. The stock has never really peaked my interest because I do prefer composite...but when I remembered I had it I felt it really just belonged on a deeply blued rifle... The stock would really show the beauty of the rifle... Almost take me back to the old centerfire days... At this point I am not sure I care if the rifle shoots well or not - I think it looks good!!!

Keep on Shooting Muzzleloaders - They are a blast

sabotloader

Scoped and Ready to Shoot

Post by sabotloader » January 30th, 2014, 6:59 pm

I am really liking this new rifle. So I just put a scope on it changed the FPJ out to a Lehigh NFPJ, set for W209's. Also put in a Lehigh/Knight new bolt housing.

I am ready to go shoot it - well sight it in anyway...

Keep on Shooting Muzzleloaders - They are a blast

sourdough44

Re: New to Me 45 cal DISC

Post by sourdough44 » February 20th, 2014, 3:35 am

Looking great in that wood stock, sorta unusual these days with all the camo synthetic. Yeah, I moved to the 45 cal as my primary deer stacking gun. The main reason is the added FPS, though I do admit most of my shots aren't all that far.

Return to “DISC Extreme”