"lag Time" for powder ignition

dbwinters
"lag Time" for powder ignition

Post by dbwinters » July 16th, 2012, 10:07 am

I recently bought a 50 cal. Disc extreme and notice a delay that I haven't noticed in other muzzleloaders I've owned. I'm shooting the red primer jackets (all new), CCI Magnum primers, 105gns. of Buck horn powder and 270 brain Harverster Sabertooth bullets. I wouldn't call it a hang fire but there is a noticeable delay between primer and powder ignition. Accuracy is fine although I'm sure it would be better without this "problem". I would appreciate any suggestions as I am concerned about a true hunting situation and a tough shot resulting in a bad result. Again, it ois probably between .2-.4 seconds but enough that I want to correct it. Any help on a different breech plug (I have kept them clean for over 30 years, no problem there) would be very greatly appreciated.

I love the gun and have it just where I want it otherwise.

Thanks for your help.

dave

a1smokepole

Re: "lag Time" for powder ignition

Post by a1smokepole » July 16th, 2012, 5:32 pm

I would buy the bare primer conversion for your gun it will help and stop blowback heres the link
http://www.knightrifles.com/209-convers ... g-M900044/

sabotloader

Re: "lag Time" for powder ignition

Post by sabotloader » July 16th, 2012, 7:06 pm

dbwinters wrote:I recently bought a 50 cal. Disc extreme and notice a delay that I haven't noticed in other muzzleloaders I've owned. I'm shooting the red primer jackets (all new), CCI Magnum primers, 105gns. of Buck horn powder and 270 brain Harverster Sabertooth bullets. I wouldn't call it a hang fire but there is a noticeable delay between primer and powder ignition. Accuracy is fine although I'm sure it would be better without this "problem". I would appreciate any suggestions as I am concerned about a true hunting situation and a tough shot resulting in a bad result. Again, it ois probably between .2-.4 seconds but enough that I want to correct it. Any help on a different breech plug (I have kept them clean for over 30 years, no problem there) would be very greatly appreciated.

I love the gun and have it just where I want it otherwise.

Thanks for your help.

dave
Well... I think you have a couple of problems that might be an easy fix... 1 - shooting BH-209 with a FPJ (red plastic jacket) can be an 'iffy' thing - the jackets stretch and allow pressure from the breech to escape, and with BH that is a big factor. If you were shooting in cold weather you might not eve nnotice becase the FPJ's would not stretch as easy. If you look at the nose of a shot FPJ you might even be able to see the streching as it will no longer be round - it will be some what of an oblong shape. Next thing that may be part of your problem is the Magnum prime - I know that Western recommends mag primers but they really do produce a lot of gas pressure and debris - sometimes so much so the flash in the breech plug becomes a bottle neck and the pressure has to drop to allow the gas to get through. I use W209 primers with FPJ's I get good ignition. I would suggest that you try a milder primer such as Remington STS 209 or a regular CCI (non-mag)...

The last thing I might suggest is to move to the NFPJ breech plug - it was built for shooting BH all day...
Keep on Shooting Muzzleloaders - They are a blast

Return to “DISC Extreme”