What Sabot/Bullet Combination Do You Use??

justinwdahl
What Sabot/Bullet Combination Do You Use??

Post by justinwdahl » September 1st, 2013, 2:22 pm

I just purchased a Disc Extreme (western) as I live in WA. Going to drop an elk with it this season.
I'm curious to know what sabot/bullet combination people are having the best repeatable accuracy with?
I don't mind paying top dollar, just want the best available.
What product are you guys getting the best results from?

Thanks in advance!

- Justin

justinwdahl

Re: What Sabot/Bullet Combination Do You Use??

Post by justinwdahl » September 2nd, 2013, 2:18 pm

Found from reading on a couple other message boards that people are having good luck with:
Barnes 50 CAL .451" 290 GR SPIT-FIRE TMZ Boattail with the sabots that they come with in their 50 cal DISC Extremes.
If I were to use these, any recommendations on propellant type and amount?
Also I hunt in WA and can't use 209 primers. So I will be using #11 or musket cap primers...
Any suggestions/help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Justin

GMB54-120

Post by GMB54-120 » September 2nd, 2013, 3:37 pm

You can not use a scope either so why would you want a bullet like that?
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/wac/default.aspx?cite=232-12-051
(b) Sights must be open, peep, or of other open sight design. Fiber optic sights are legal. Telescopic sights or sights containing glass are prohibited.
Why not use a good conical in the 440-460gr range and hammer them? No sabot fit, fancy powder muss or fuss and they shoot great in a Knight with T7 or cheap old Pyrodex. One of the best conical vendors in the USA is only a state or two away from you and they are CHEAP!!!!
Green Mountain 54-120 Brush Gun
Elite 45 blued
Original DISC 45 SS
LRH 52cal

justinwdahl

Post by justinwdahl » September 2nd, 2013, 8:31 pm

Thanks for the advise. I was just thinking of less drop if I had to take a little longer shot.
I am a decent shot with iron sites on my modern firearms, but this is my first muzzleloader.
I figured it would be nice to be able to take a 150-175 yd shot confidently from a rest if I had to.
My minimal research leads me to believe the TMZs fly on a flatter line & open up nicely even at lower velocity...?
How much drop are we talking at 125-150 yards using a heavy conical?
What brand conical would you recommend?
Does T7 or Pyrodex work better with #11 or musket caps and which brand caps would you recommend?

Thanks for your thoughts.

- Justin

GMB54-120

Post by GMB54-120 » September 2nd, 2013, 11:01 pm

BullShop bullets or NoExcuses make fine conicals and usually no more than 90gr is ever needed or wanted. About 70gr is the sweet spot for T7 3F and a 460gr. I quit using Pyrodex a long time ago and went back to real black powder. Swiss is great if you can find it and it gives better speed than Pyrodex. I cant help you on caps. All of mine are 209 primer. IIRC RWS makes some of the best caps and CCI mag caps get good reviews too.

Google White Rifles. He has some ballistic tables for conicals. They have some drop but they lose very little speed out to 150 yards.
Green Mountain 54-120 Brush Gun
Elite 45 blued
Original DISC 45 SS
LRH 52cal

justinwdahl

Post by justinwdahl » September 7th, 2013, 6:32 pm

Anyone else have some thoughts?

Return to “DISC Extreme”