Considering another knight

GADawg
Considering another knight

Post by GADawg » January 17th, 2013, 6:40 pm

So, long time no talk! Holidays and so forth. Glad to be back!

Well today at my favorite shop I found a used disc extreme on consignment that the owner left for the shop owner to price out. No price yet, but heres the deal: its a .50 disc extreme thumbhole stainless with black stock, no front sight because it allegedly blocked the scope, a few scuffs on the barrel, uncleaned breach that i cleaned at the shop today(no damage), no wrench, jag, or front sight, no ammo or anything

Obviously, the price is up to the owner and shop owner, but what would yall think is a fair price?

Knights are rare birds in shops around here and the owner has always done me good as prices go but as its a consignment, i thought i would ask around in casebi need to make an offer.

GADawg

Re: Considering another knight

Post by GADawg » January 17th, 2013, 6:41 pm

No scope either.

sourdough44

Post by sourdough44 » January 25th, 2013, 5:20 pm

How is the bore? That is the biggest issue with me. I may take slightly less than a mirror finish, but not much. Depending on the bore, good condition, about $250.

GADawg

Post by GADawg » January 30th, 2013, 8:22 am

Sourdough, thanks so much for your reply! The bore one the rifle is in very good shape. If nothing else the owner swabbed the barrel. Alright then $250 sounds like a decent baseline from which to start.

GADawg

Post by GADawg » January 30th, 2013, 3:55 pm

Well, the shop owner uses Gunbroker as a baseline for pricing, and based on a used knight with ammo and tools that went for 225 on gunbroker, they are gonna see if the owner of the rifle will take $150. It will sound like highway robbery, but GA is a "hunt with whatever you got" state so even good MLs go for cheap. When the bores are good, used is always the way to go down here. Most shops won't even take them on trade, cause they will never sell.

sourdough44

Post by sourdough44 » February 3rd, 2013, 5:39 pm

Here's some more to chew on. Last Dec I bought a NIB 45 cal 'Elite' from a local shop. He said he needed to move it, make offer, so I did. I paid $200, taxes included.

Right now D&R Sports out of PA has NIB 45 Cal 'Elites' for $300 plus $20 to ship. They are on Gunbroker, I had a twitchy finger & bought another one. I get leery with used M-Ls, but at least you looked in person. Just a bit more you can get a NIB Elite 45 Knight. Adjust the trigger some, scope it & set it up with 110 grains of B209, one would be hard pressed to show me a better M-L, at any price. I also put in a Lehigh breech plug.

GADawg

Post by GADawg » February 6th, 2013, 8:34 am

Thanks for the reply. Sounds like a great dealbon the .45 but i wanna stick with .50 cal. The likelihood of seeing a Knight in a shop around here is maybe one per year. Yes theres the internet, but"for just a little bit more" on top of a "little bit more" I could have a new mountaineer. Sadly thats always the state of things. I am gonna go with this one because i can see it and its cheap as dirt.

sourdough44

Post by sourdough44 » February 10th, 2013, 6:01 am

If the bore is clean & you get it close to $150, I'd say you did GREAT. This is the time of year when a M-L will sit lonely on the shelf with no offers, good time to buy.

GADawg

Post by GADawg » April 17th, 2013, 7:56 pm

Finally got this other Disc extr. $125 otd. Clean bore. Only needed a front sight. Now i have two of the same gun with different stocks! Beware the man with two of the same gun ay?

sourdough44

Post by sourdough44 » April 23rd, 2013, 6:59 pm

That was a great deal. If the trigger isn't just right, I'd adjust it some. I have added a "quick release" for the bolt on all my Knights. It's nice to easily take the bolt out if you want. I always hunt with the 'Lehigh' style conversion breech plug the last few years. I just carry my primers in those red primer holder deals, from TC I think.

I have a few extra Knights, some NIB. I just couldn't stop, even after I had enough.