firing pin releases when bolt pushed forward

reddeerrick
firing pin releases when bolt pushed forward

Post by reddeerrick » December 1st, 2012, 9:31 am

The firing pin will release when I work the bolt into position with the safety off, but it will not do so every time. With the safety on and the bolt pushed forward the gun will fire when the safety is taken off, but not every time as well. I have taken the bolt apart and made sure it was clean and it was. I am very careful about cleaning the trigger assembly (not taken apart), and the bolt itself, so that's not an issue. I had the gun on the range last week and it worked just fine, but this week while hunting in Camp Wainwright Alberta (special draw on military base) then gun would not fire. I was lined up on a huge 6 x 6 WT at 60 yards and then gun would not fire, needless to say the WT walked off. The same scenario happened to me 2 other times on bucks that I called in. When I pulled the bolt back and into position with the primer out, the firing pin released when I was closing the bolt??? Tired it again and the pin did not release until I pulled the trigger, but once again when the bolt was worked into position the pin would release on its own. This would happen with the secondary safety on or off. I had to cut my 3 day hunt short as I will not hunt with a gun that is not working correctly. I will call the tech's at Knight to find out what the problem is.
Very sad ending to my hunting season.

a1smokepole

Re: firing pin releases when bolt pushed forward

Post by a1smokepole » December 1st, 2012, 10:24 am

sounds like the trigger needs work or theres something robbing the trigger on the stock. call knight

reddeerrick

Post by reddeerrick » December 1st, 2012, 7:20 pm

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my rather long winded query. Appreciate it.
Have the gun apart again and soaking the trigger assembly in a solution of Wipe out. Plan on contacting Knight to get their opinion and help.

reddeerrick

Post by reddeerrick » December 2nd, 2012, 10:27 am

The problem with my firing pin was the result of not following the reassembly of the bolt to the letter as outlined by the manual. It was carelessness on my part. After cleaning the disassembled bolt and trigger assembly, by letting it soak for about 10 hours then spraying it off with brake cleaner to make sure that there was no fouling anywhere I reassembled the bolt FOLLOWING THE MANUAL IN DETAIL, the problem is not longer.
Lesson learned: No matter how familiar you are with your guns it's a good idea to re educate yourself before making a minor error which could cost you lost hunting time, big Whitetail buck and possibly your life. I will now go over the re assembly many times to ensure that I repeat each step accurately.
Apologize for making it sound like there was something mechanically wrong with the gun, it was totally my lack of detail that bit me in the butt.

Question: What is considered the best dry lubricant for the bolt assembly?? Don't want to use any oils as the severe temperatures would just gum up the action.

sourdough44

Post by sourdough44 » December 2nd, 2012, 4:01 pm

Yes, the bolt must be in the proper, slight 'detent' for it to work properly, glad it was worked out.

I use some spray cleaner, 'gunblast' type stuff for the tight jobs, when further dis-assembly isn't possible. I then use a lighter gun oil for lubrication & protection. My oil is 'cold weather, military, automatic weapons oil'. I bought it in bulk a while back.

jsparky93

Post by jsparky93 » December 6th, 2012, 10:06 pm

Try turning the sear engagement screw (the 5/32 allen head set screw on the back of the trigger) out 1/4 turn. Then work the bolt to test it & keep backing it off until it doesnt fire when you work the bolt.

Return to “DISC Extreme”