New Knight Owner

GADawg
New Knight Owner

Post by GADawg » October 2nd, 2012, 6:53 pm

Howdy all,

I just traded into a NIB Knight Disc extreme! I am brand new to the inline game but have been shooting MLs since I was six. Also when i shot my first 1911 so i started with the best, and have never stopped. Sorry for the strong opinions in my furst post. Anyway, a quest to hunt earlier here in Georgia has turned into a new love for inlines. Last week I bought a used Remi 700ml, and that sent me on a quest for the new American classic that i read described as a Knight. I had known the name since I perused cabelas catalogues as a child, but as MLing is not huge here in Georgia, I only encountered CVA kits at sally world and so forth. Now, I love me old centerfires, from 03 springfields to ARs, but i have always had a special place in my heart for MLs since I shot that TC Hawken when i was six. It now hangs on my wall in the study. When i was a child I spake as a child e.g. "inlines are a travesty". When I became a man i spake as a man e.g. " a gun is a gun is a gun. And a gun equals fun son". So now i have this sweet Knight, and am looking forward to being a member of this community and all the benefits of folks who have tread far further than i in pursuit of markmanship and huntsmanship. Cheers!

GADawg

Re: New Knight Owner

Post by GADawg » October 2nd, 2012, 6:57 pm

Wally world... Not sally world... Stupid autocorrect... Ah, and first, not furst. This is a pain with a three month old on your knee.

Blacktail

Post by Blacktail » October 2nd, 2012, 11:24 pm

Well I am surely with you on the 1911's and the inlines. I have a new Disc Extreme too. Looking forward to finding a good load and hunting with mine as well.

Which stock did you purchase?

BT

GADawg

Post by GADawg » October 3rd, 2012, 10:41 am

It's the standard knight synthetic, stainless barrel ocourse. I did a trade through armslist so it was not a matter of choice. May get a thumbhole later though. This morning i shot it for the first time and got one inche three shot groups with open sights at fifty yards. 90 gr. 777 ffg with a tc shockwave 250 in black sabot. First load i tried so needless to say i am impressed. Gotta get to a hundred yard range and see what she will do. Did not clean between shots at all. Second three shot group was tighter than the first. The shockwaves were the only thing I had on hand as i shoot them from my remi 700ml.

Blacktail

Post by Blacktail » October 3rd, 2012, 10:07 pm

That's a promising start. Do you normally swab between shots? I do with my Bighorn. I noticed that this new gun has the DynaTek coated bore so maybe swabbing in between shots isn't necessary?

Got a couple more weeks till I start shooting mine and developing loads. Really looking forward to it.

BT

GMB54-120

Post by GMB54-120 » October 4th, 2012, 8:13 am

Barrel condition and primer options have a big impact on swabbing with 777. When i used 777 nearly all of mine needed a quick "spitpatch" between shots to remove the dreaded crud ring. 11# caps don't create nearly as bad of a ring as 209 primers. Bores stored with Remoil w/Teflon were really bad. Bores treated with Montana Extreme bore condition and "pre fouled" with a primer and wiped with a single dry patch were MUCH better. Under the correct conditions you might get 4-5 shots without too much fouling. The DynaTek bore coating may help also but i have never tried it and ive stopped using 777.
Green Mountain 54-120 Brush Gun
Elite 45 blued
Original DISC 45 SS
LRH 52cal

GADawg

Post by GADawg » October 4th, 2012, 5:50 pm

I have not cleaned between shots yet. I wanted to see what it would do while dirty. This morning i shot before work. Three, three-shot groups at 75 yards with sights. 90 grains was insufficient. My group was a mile wide. Brought it up to 100 and she tightened down to about two inches or "minute of deer". Unsat in my book. Didn't have time to do anymore, but i may try 110 tomorrow, and i am getting a scope for her tomorrow as well. It's possible that cleaning between shots might help, but she has only tightened groups the more i shoot each session. Go figure, a rifle that shoits better dirty. Again this is with triple seven, and i promise i am being honest about the groups tightening. Gonna try some 240 gr XTPs tomorrow as well. They are $9 for thirty at wally world, and nearly anything else i will have to order online. Again, Georgia is a "that'll do" state when.it comes to MLing so until I get arouns to ordering aomething I am gonna work with whats on the shelves.

GADawg

Post by GADawg » October 4th, 2012, 5:52 pm

To clarify, I clean right after a session, but not between shots.

Blacktail

Post by Blacktail » October 5th, 2012, 12:14 am

A scope... How nice would that be? I would commit to the muzzleloader season here in Washington if we could at least use a scope. Here in Washington we have to commit to a weapon choice for hunting. Muzzleloaders must be primitive with no 209 primers, an exposed breech, and no optics.

I swab after every shot at the range. Was planning on continuing that practice. Was just curious if the Dyna-Tek changed that necessity.

I also shoot #11 CCI mag primers but am considering moving to musket caps.

BT

GADawg

Post by GADawg » October 9th, 2012, 12:18 pm

It is nice to have the use of scopes. Even in our state we still have separate bow, muzzleloader and rifle seasons. I cannot abide a government that treats hunters of different types unequally under the law. It's fine and dandy for yhose who benefit from own luddite mentality to defend the status quo. after all they are the beneficiaries of the idiotic separation of season. I love my scoped muzzleloader, and its 209 ignition as i also love my hawken for what it is, but far be it from me to try to keep people with ARs, M1As and the like out of the woods before i get my shot with my chosen antiquated tech. Cone on down to Georgia Blacktail and I will take you into the free woods if you ever get tired of elitist mandates.