black mz with #11 caps

huntinmanchris
black mz with #11 caps

Post by huntinmanchris » March 2nd, 2012, 8:45 pm

has anyone done any shootin with the black mz #11 caps?

sabotloader

Re: black mz with #11 caps

Post by sabotloader » March 2nd, 2012, 10:40 pm

huntinmanchris wrote:has anyone done any shootin with the black mz #11 caps?

It will shoot with caps. It is really nothing and infact it is made by APP (American Pioneer Powder). Black MZ and Jim Shockey Gold Super powder basically the same powder.

I did do some testing of this powder Shockey Gold Super, about the only difference between the new stuff and the old stuff - the new stuff is more energetic.

Might look here..

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-p ... owder.html

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-p ... -farm.html
Keep on Shooting Muzzleloaders - They are a blast

huntinmanchrisg

Post by huntinmanchrisg » March 5th, 2012, 10:42 pm

thankyou, did ur velocity pick up, as advertised, Im going to try the barnes 290 grain tmz's in it, I dont get to to try it till this weekend, this is my first year muzzleloading, bought knights LRH, any tips would be nice ,,,, thanks again :D

huntinmanchris

Post by huntinmanchris » March 5th, 2012, 10:52 pm

Another question for u all, anyone shot the parker bullets with the 420 b.c.?

huntinmanchris

Post by huntinmanchris » March 19th, 2012, 6:21 pm

Finally got to go try black MZ, 150 grains of MZ, Parker 300 grain sabbot, "(420 B.C.)" Rws #11 cap, 8 shots through chrono, average velocity ended up at a little over 2100 FPS out of knight LRH, not bad not bad at all very impressed, now its time to see what I get with T7 tomorrow!

sabotloader

Post by sabotloader » March 20th, 2012, 10:17 am

huntinmanchrisg wrote:thankyou, did ur velocity pick up, as advertised, Im going to try the barnes 290 grain tmz's in it, I dont get to to try it till this weekend, this is my first year muzzleloading, bought knights LRH, any tips would be nice ,,,, thanks again :D
Velocity with the new powder is better than the older APP powders... It is more energetic.

sabotloader

Post by sabotloader » March 20th, 2012, 10:19 am

huntinmanchris wrote:Another question for u all, anyone shot the parker bullets with the 420 b.c.?
Remember bullt BC is also a function of velocity. The 420 BC that bullet is advertised with is extremly high and probably only available from a smokeless ML.

huntinmanchris

Post by huntinmanchris » May 8th, 2012, 3:11 am

yes sabotloader, parker advertises that bullet at .420 @ 2800fps, need to figure what it is with 2100fps, still an very impressive bullet. The barnes tmzs averaged just damn near the same velocity, now its time to put both bullets to the paper at 200, and 300yds, gotta see what i get with T7 havent got there yet, have another question, the caps are not fitting snuggly on my nipple, could it be undersized, do i need to call knight and get replacement? accuracy could not be as good with the nipple being loose,? do you use a peep for your rear sight if so which one do you suggest, model #, or sku # would be appreciated, Again thanks for the tech support talk at you later

sabotloader

Post by sabotloader » May 23rd, 2012, 8:58 am

huntinmanchris wrote:yes sabotloader, parker advertises that bullet at .420 @ 2800fps, need to figure what it is with 2100fps, still an very impressive bullet. The barnes tmzs averaged just damn near the same velocity, now its time to put both bullets to the paper at 200, and 300yds, gotta see what i get with T7 havent got there yet, have another question, the caps are not fitting snuggly on my nipple, could it be undersized, do i need to call knight and get replacement?
Nope. Knight will send you exactly what you have. I would suggest that you order a nipple from Track of the Wolf...
For some reason and a reason I do not understand, the more common #11 nipples manufactured today, like the Hot Shot - Red Hot - the post has been reduced in diameter so that it no longer hold #11's snuggly. In fact the new nipples are so loose simply turning the nipple upside down often ends up with the cap falling off.

I think I have found the answer...

My first attempt was to order some RWS nipples from RMC Sports. They came in the mail on Tuesday. They certainly worked better than the more famous brands but in my mind the cap still came of to easy.

So next I went to Track of the Wolf to try some AMPCO produced nipples.... SUCCESS!

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categorie ... =25&Page=3

TOW offers both the AMPCO Bronze RST-A and the Stainless RST-I both of these are 1/4x28 for American made rifles – but they do offer the other sizes also.

The nipple I placed on the AMCO in the picture is in place correctly – it fits so well it would be very difficult for water to get under it to contaminate the cap or the powder load.

Downside…. They caps do not come off easily…
accuracy could not be as good with the nipple being loose,? do you use a peep for your rear sight if so which one do you suggest, model #, or sku # would be appreciated, Again thanks for the tech support talk at you later
I use a Williams FP - great sight 1/4 minute clicks... 093 hunting apeture a from fiber optic sight and Fire sight hood... makes you think you are shooting a one power scope...

sqezer

Post by sqezer » May 23rd, 2012, 7:11 pm

Sabot, that sure is a great looking sight set up.