The history of the ML85????

KnightMl
The history of the ML85????

Post by KnightMl » February 22nd, 2012, 7:19 pm

I have a very early model MK85. One of the first to hit Nashville. With the right load it will shoot well under a inch at 100 yards.

I have heard reports that a lot of people did not have have such good luck with the MK85 that there might have been some bad Green Mountain barrels floating around.

Anyone able to confirm that or deny that claim????

frontstuffer01

Re: The history of the ML85????

Post by frontstuffer01 » February 22nd, 2012, 8:19 pm

Cannot say i have every heard of a bad gmb, but i suppose it happens though.....the mk85's i own are all excellent shooters, never had a problem with them.

WolfKill

Post by WolfKill » February 23rd, 2012, 9:51 am

The earliest MK-85 rifles did not feature Green Mountain barrels. My first MK-85, which I received from Tony Knight in January 1986, was serial No. 37 - that one was built with a 1-turn-in-48 inches Numrich barrel. My second MK-85, Serial No. in the 300s, was built with a turn-in-32 inches barrel. Until 1989, Modern Muzzleloading used a number of different barrels from different makers - McMillan, Wiseman, Lothar-Walther. That year they made the transition to Green Mountain. From 1990 on, the rifles were built with Green Mountain barrels. I'm not sure if there is a serial number that can be used to say that from that number on up...the rifle has a GM barrel. My feeling is, that number would be around 3500...which is also close to the time when the operation moved from Lancaster, MO to Centerville, IA. Toby Bridges

bilnbon

Post by bilnbon » February 24th, 2012, 6:00 pm

The MK85 barrel is rated at max. 120 grains. What would hunters for Elk use?

sabotloader

Post by sabotloader » February 25th, 2012, 11:12 am

bilnbon wrote:The MK85 barrel is rated at max. 120 grains. What would hunters for Elk use?
For myself I do use the the MK for elk hunting and I have settled on 110 grains of T7-3f, a #11 Mag Cap and a Lehigh/Bloodline .458-300 grain DOA. This combination is deadly to 200 yards - provided you do your part.

This is the MK

Here is the bullet sabot combination...

Keep on Shooting Muzzleloaders - They are a blast

rick59

Post by rick59 » February 25th, 2012, 3:03 pm

My MK-85 Back Country Carbine will shoot 1" groups at 100yds all day long, killled many deer with this old rifle with not one single misfire. Altough I own many other MZ's, I will never part with this one!

biggesttexan2

Post by biggesttexan2 » February 26th, 2012, 4:37 am

I recently aquired a MK 85 in .54 caliber. Would anybody have a owners manual that they can put on here so i can download it or if unable to do so can you put me in the right direction on how I might obtain a copy? This is a beautiful ML and I really want to shoot this thing.

sabotloader

Post by sabotloader » February 26th, 2012, 10:40 am

biggesttexan2 wrote:I recently aquired a MK 85 in .54 caliber. Would anybody have a owners manual that they can put on here so i can download it or if unable to do so can you put me in the right direction on how I might obtain a copy? This is a beautiful ML and I really want to shoot this thing.
I have an electronic copy but I would need your email address to get it to you... or you can call Knight and they will email you one.

Post by Guest » February 26th, 2012, 3:56 pm

Thanks sabotloader for the offer, its mighty kind of you sir. My e-mail is biggesttexan2@gmail.com I am pumped up about this ML

sabotloader

Post by sabotloader » February 26th, 2012, 5:16 pm

Guest wrote:Thanks sabotloader for the offer, its mighty kind of you sir. My e-mail is biggesttexan2@gmail.com I am pumped up about this ML
It is in your mail...

You certainly do have a good one... remember now also that there are 54 cal sabots for the new 50 cal bullets out there. Like the Speer 50 Deep Curl - an awesome hunting bullet.