54 caliber loads for MK85

Uncle Ted
54 caliber loads for MK85

Post by Uncle Ted » February 28th, 2012, 10:25 am

Have recently converted an early Knight Stainless Steel MK 85 (serial # 2362SS) to use the 209 shotgun primer. I want to develop a load for this rifle, but am a bit discouraged by the lack of components available for 54 caliber. Would like to try the Bloodline bullet from Knight that were supposed to be available after the first of the year, but they haven't surfaced yet. Am I reading that a 50 cal bullet can be used with a 54 cal sabot? Just returning to the muzzle loader after a 5 to 6 year absence, so getting up to speed will take some time, which I have after recently applying to retire. Anybody have a successful load or info source they may want to share? Thanks

sabotloader

Re: 54 caliber loads for MK85

Post by sabotloader » February 28th, 2012, 11:58 am

Uncle Ted wrote:Have recently converted an early Knight Stainless Steel MK 85 (serial # 2362SS) to use the 209 shotgun primer.
Just passing on a my feelings... I have a MK and a Big Horn and at one time or another I converted them to 209 also, today both of them are back to #11 cap ignition. No matter what ignition system you choose to use the breech is going to get dirty. One is really no cleaner than another, but IMO the cap ignition is safer than a 209 system. Since the MK is a plunger gun there is really noting to keep the blow back from the gun oushing the hammer back and spitting the 209 primer or its parts back out of the breech system, especially if you are using a bare 209 primer. Using a FPJ (red plastic jacket) might be more safe. This problem does not always appear especially if you are using moderate powder loads and lighter bullets... Here is a picture series of my shooting a heavier load with a heavier bullet.

Since this experiment I have gone back to shooting a #11 Mag Cap. My hunting load for elk is 110 grains of T7-3f a 300 grain bullet in a .458 sabot.
I want to develop a load for this rifle, but am a bit discouraged by the lack of components available for 54 caliber. Would like to try the Bloodline bullet from Knight that were supposed to be available after the first of the year, but they haven't surfaced yet. Am I reading that a 50 cal bullet can be used with a 54 cal sabot?
There is a 54 cal sabot available that a 50 cal bullet like the Speer Gold Dot bullet can be put in and loaded into a 54 cal bore... And of course you can get 54 cal sabots for 45 caliber bullets and there would be a lot of options available there.

This is a link to the Speer Gold Dot 50 cal bonded Deep Curl hunting bullet. Besides this 300 grain bullet they also offer a 350 grain bullet

http://www.speer-bullets.com/ballistics ... spx?id=215
Just returning to the muzzle loader after a 5 to 6 year absence, so getting up to speed will take some time, which I have after recently applying to retire. Anybody have a successful load or info source they may want to share? Thanks
Depending on what you might be hunting in my mind would or might change the weight of the bullet used… but if you are deer hunting and want to use a Lehigh/Bloodline then the .452-250 grain bullet in a 4554 sabot would certainly do the job. Other than that the Speer Gold Dots, either 45 or 50 cal. would be another very good bullet – the 50’s might be a tad heavy for deer but they would never know. I would still suggest the #11 cap and T7 powder. With the cap you should not have to worry much about the ‘crud ring’ as you would with the 209 primer.

Here is a picture of some of the Lehigh/Bloodline offererings. you can find the 250 in this pic.

Good luck in retirement and hunting
Keep on Shooting Muzzleloaders - They are a blast

Uncle Ted

Post by Uncle Ted » March 3rd, 2012, 10:52 am

Thanks for the info sabotloader! Where can I purchase the sabots (4554) you mentioned? Is Knight Rifles the only source for LeHigh/Bloodline bullets? The Speer Combo sounds interesting. I plan to mostly deer hunt with the MK85 and am looking forward to a lot of range shooting to develop a load combo.

sabotloader

Post by sabotloader » March 3rd, 2012, 12:02 pm

Uncle Ted wrote:Thanks for the info sabotloader! Where can I purchase the sabots (4554) you mentioned? Is Knight Rifles the only source for LeHigh/Bloodline bullets? The Speer Combo sounds interesting. I plan to mostly deer hunt with the MK85 and am looking forward to a lot of range shooting to develop a load combo.
Call Connie at MMP Sabots... She can set you up with the sabots. Remember her price includes shipping to your door, and there are price breaks for the more you order. But to start with I would get a couple of packs and make sure they work for you....

http://mmpsabots.com/

When you get to the home page look for the red sabot in the first sabot chart...

Also Harvester makes a 4554 sabot and you can get them from Harvester or several online vendors

Knight is the only source of Lehigh/Bloodline, but I do not believe thay offer a sabot for the combination you need - actually I should say Bloodline built by Lehigh...

If you are going with the Speer thought and after deer - you might look at the .452-250 gr. Deep Curl bullet or even the .452-300 gr. Deep Curl.
Keep on Shooting Muzzleloaders - They are a blast

Post by Guest » March 17th, 2012, 9:27 am

My vanilla load for my knights is 100 GR Pyrodex with a 250 452 XTP in a MMP short black sabot. This load is a real game getter.

I have been experiementing around wtih 80 GR of BH209 with 250 xtp and 300 XTP. The .458 seem to be getting a little better accuracy but with the Black Crush rib sabot.

Still working up the perfect load.

GMB54-120

Post by GMB54-120 » April 19th, 2012, 12:12 pm

I strongly prefer the 54x50 options, 452s in my 50cals are usually more accurate. MMP purple sabot, Speer 50-300gr or 325gr DC/Unicore and upto 100gr or T7 puts a real hurt on deer sized game. The 50-325gr Speer is actually the bullet that shipped with the 54cal MK85 for awhile.

If you want to use 458s, the Harvester Red 54x45 will work very well in some bores but it can be tight.
Green Mountain 54-120 Brush Gun
Elite 45 blued
Original DISC 45 SS
LRH 52cal

wolf 1954

Post by wolf 1954 » May 8th, 2012, 3:14 am

110 gr black mz lee real 54 calcast bullets shine :P

Punkin Slinger

Post by Punkin Slinger » February 15th, 2015, 10:46 pm

Uncle Ted-
Are you happy with the conversion to the 209 shotgun primer ignition? I live in Washington (the State) and we can't use them here to hunt with. We have to use the original style percussion caps. A friend of mine just bought a used 54 Knight MK 85 and it came with the disk type of ignition and we need to change it. If you are not in need of your old parts we might be able to take them off your hands. Looking for a standard 54 cal breech plug that takes a nipple for a #11 percussion cap and the hammer with the cup that accommodates that style nipple. Thanks, I look forward to hearing from you.
Sincerely,
Bruce aka Punkin Slinger

elkaholic-93

Post by elkaholic-93 » April 14th, 2015, 9:53 am

all you .54 guys still alive - lol

I recently found a gem - blk knight .54 in near mint condition with a 1.5x6 leupold scope - legal for hunting here in Az

wife drew a muzzy bull elk tag here in Az . I'm trying to work up an accurate load for distances out to 150 yrds. all the above information is great and gives me a place to start.

what kind of grouping can I expect to get if I go with Tonys - The 50-325gr Speer is actually the bullet that shipped with the 54cal MK85 for awhile

GMB54-120

Post by GMB54-120 » April 15th, 2015, 11:30 am

what kind of grouping can I expect to get if I go with Tonys
Thats a bit hard to say. I normally dont use Triple7. I use pretty stiff amounts of BH209 in a Extreme based brush gun made by Green Mountain. On the Modern Muzzleloader forum one member has posted very good results with the 325gr Speer in a MK95. I dont remember which powder he was using but im fairly sure it was not BH209. http://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/forum ... 7&p=167374

I can tell you at around 1850fps the 325gr Speer look like this in ballistics gelatin
Green Mountain 54-120 Brush Gun
Elite 45 blued
Original DISC 45 SS
LRH 52cal

Return to “MK85”