Made the MK 85 PR look better so it would Shoot Better

sabotloader
Made the MK 85 PR look better so it would Shoot Better

Post by sabotloader » September 30th, 2013, 6:39 pm

Some of you will remember that I picked a 'Project Rifle' - a used SS MK-85 that I got in trade for one of my Renegades. The rifle looked great on the outside but the bore is/was slightly pitted top to bottom. Just drives me nutz! but, anyway I am determined to make it into a shooter! I have already experimented with a bit shooting 50 cal bullets -sabotless.

The experiment continues - this is what it looked like when I got it...

And the other day I decided to work on it a little more. I changed the sights on it - removed the WGRS peep and installed a Williams FP peep. I really really like the 1/4" clicks of the FP versus the slide and glide of the WGRS. Then to make it really shoot better I put on of my thumbhole stocks. Now it had to be a good shooter. After my upgrading, on Monday I ran it out to the farm and sighted it in at 25 yards. My range at the farm was still clogged a bit with farm machines and I did not really have time to shoot the hundred anyway.

I went Tuesday to finish the job and I'll be darned Marty had move the tractor so the range was mostly open... Set my target out at 100, well 101 according to the laser, loaded up and commenced shooting.

I decided to shoot the Barnes .500x325 gr. bullets first as they really load easier than do the 275's, actually almost to easy... Took the first shot and thought I was in pretty good shape, especially shooting a squeaky clean barrel, which I truly dislike. But I know the second shot would tell the real story so loaded up the second touched it off. The POI of the second shot really did not surprise me that much. So loaded up the third and shot it. Looked through the bi-nocks but could not find the 3 shot on the target anywhere. Really bugged me, because I know I heard it punch the target and the plywood of the target. It makes a very distinctive sound. Looked again with the glasses but COULD not find it. So - I walked out through the stubble to the target. When I got close enough to see the target - there was only TWO holes. I almost turned around in disgust and walked back but then upon further review - it appears that I got blind-dumb lucky - they were touching each other. I really do not know which one is 2 and which one is 3 - but I really do not care... :D

I adjusted the sight up 8 clicks and shot the next 3... This time I shot the Barnes .500x275 gr. XPB's which is the bullet I really want to shoot for hunting deer. While I know other can shoot better - this was good enough for me. I walked out picked up the target and while out there places 4 clay pigeons - took me 5 shots but got them all and it is a heck of a lot more fun than shooting paper.

I now believe the gun to be hunt ready!

Keep on Shooting Muzzleloaders - They are a blast

Return to “MK85”