breech plug trouble

greenbowfish 1
breech plug trouble

Post by greenbowfish 1 » February 17th, 2013, 8:56 pm

This is just my second post here. Friday I went to town to check on some things and when I finished I stopped by the pawn - gun store. I picked up a mk85 stainless with a laminated stock. The rifle is very clean. Great looking gun. Not banged up or beat up. Clean bore. I removed the nipple and started to remove the breech plug but it would not budge. I have removed the stock and trigger assembly where it would be easier to mess with without damaging any part of the rifle. Everything is spotless clean that I can see. I sprayed winchester break free down the barrel and around the breech and let it set overnight. Still cannot loosen it. I cleaned up the break free and soaked the breech in oil. Still not loose. Does anyone have any ideas? Is the breech plug reverse threads? This is my first Knight and I cannot find very much info on this older model. If the rifle was abused looking I would be worried? Any help from you guys that have been around these rifles would be great!
Thanks in advance!
Lee

757t-bolt

Re: breech plug trouble

Post by 757t-bolt » February 18th, 2013, 8:14 pm

Try soaking it in some Ballistol oil for about three or four days maybe a little longer. The stuff works great on other stuff. That is what happens when you don't use lube on the breech plug. Let us know how it works. some of the guys are looking at buying new barrels because of this same thing.

greenbowfish 1

Post by greenbowfish 1 » February 19th, 2013, 7:53 am

I will give that a try. It just has me baffled. The rifle is older but looks to be in such good shape. Do you know where I would find this oil ?

Thanks,
Lee

andalinfarms

Post by andalinfarms » March 3rd, 2013, 6:21 pm

I just purchased a Bighorn 50 cal. rifle at a gun show in above average condition and I brought it home and unable to remove plug. I have tried soaking in penetrating oil and even took a small blow torch to the plug to loosen it up. Unable to budge. Help. to the one who suggested Ballestol oil. What is this and where do I find it?

greenbowfish 1

Post by greenbowfish 1 » March 16th, 2013, 8:42 am

Hello,
I ended up taking mine to a gunsmith. He tried everything and finally drilled it out and and forced a bit into the drilled plug to remove it. Cost me $45.00. The bore looks new and the rifle looks new. He says that it looks like it was shot very little and the breech plug was not removed when cleaned.

Return to “MK85”