Knight BK-92 Muzzlerloaders

jbrown
Re: Knight BK-92 Muzzlerloaders

Post by jbrown » September 29th, 2012, 9:08 am

Guest wrote:does the powerbelt 245 grn shoot well in the bk92 rifles ? i have one and havent had a chance to shoot it yet and was gonna give the powerbelts a shot and see ..
bought mine new way back. killed many deer with it and it shoots most anything well. i have used the power belts and accuracey is pretty good but the bullets i have recovered have blown quite a bit and blood trails were not great. never lost a deer though. i now like and swear by the barnes 250 gr xpanders. shoots great with 90 grains rs pyrodex. do the work and clean the gun the way it should be done and it will make you happy. i wont ever part with mine.

gdKelly3

Post by gdKelly3 » October 24th, 2012, 8:07 pm

I have a BK92 and want to convert to the 209 ignition. My #11 breech plug has threads all the way to the end and all conversion kits I've seen do are not threaded to the end. Do any of you know if this will matter?
Gerald

vans

Post by vans » November 17th, 2012, 5:44 am

I also have a Black Knight in .54 cal, shot many deer with gun, using Barnes, 90 gr. 777, I have also upgraded the igntion system to the 209 primer, used to shoot the Powerbelt, had a few bad experiences using them and switched to Barnes

jrhambone23

Post by jrhambone23 » November 17th, 2012, 8:09 am

found the combo for my bk-92 ..90 grns 777 powder and 250 grn hornady sst's... killed two deer with it this week ..it's spot on now , i love it ..wouldnt part with it at all ...best shooting muzzleloader ive ever owned .. :D

Blackcat 86

Post by Blackcat 86 » November 17th, 2012, 9:15 pm

I have a BK92 in .50cal. that I bought shortly after they were introduced. My first ML. Since I bought it for deer hunting, I have always used Knight's jacketed 260g (SKU: M900183 $16.00/20) with 100g. FFg. It's very accurate, although I confess I have not shot a deer beyond 75yds. with it. I will add that every deer hit (so far) has dropped dead in sight.

Blackcat 86

Post by Blackcat 86 » December 24th, 2014, 5:53 pm

I'm back again after a couple year hiatus. My BK92 rig tanked this year, possibly sooner. It may be the bullets, but I suspect the scope.

Late last year I finally consumed all the Knight 260gr. jacketed .50cal rounds (mfg#900180) which is what I have used since the rifle was new (early '90s.) The rifle loved them and MoA was normal when I did my part. Knight no longer offers that bullet that I can find and, quite frankly, their S&H was over the top. So, I switched to Hornady XTP 240gr. FMJ HP.45cal Mag available locally for a small fortune.

I shot a few rounds last year to sight in with the new bullet loaded (100gr. FFg with #11 cap) exactly like the old Knight round. I made a slight adjustment and was happy. Some time later I took a stationary deer in our woods at about 50yds. It fell like a ton of bricks. I was impressed with myself until I did my onsite autopsy. My aim point was the proverbial broadside breadbasket but I hit the base of the neck bone about 7+inches off target at 11o'clock. I confirmed that I hit a small (1/2") sapling (it couldn't be me!) and said that's what did it. Let me add that the XTP .45Mag is powerful magic.

This year I confirmed zero, but only fired one round, which hit dead-nut center at 100yds. Even though I like to mark 2" high at that range, I was happy and bragged to the little lady about my shooting prowess and, oh yeah, the rifle. Then I went out and shot a deer, quartering away at about 35yds. shooting left-handed with one eye closed. Yeah, I'm that good. Ha! It dropped in its tracks. The autopsy revealed that again I broke the spine above the ribs about 5 or 6" high from my aim point. I began growing suspicious.

I have a range on our place so I started shooting. I'm talking scatter-gun here! 12MoA!!! I went so far as to shoot one round a day like I would if it were opening day...every day. My routine has alwayts been: dry patch, shoot cap with patch/ramrod in barrel, check burn, then foul the barrel with 30gr., spit patch, dry patch, load for hunt. Shoot one round. Clean and pickle the rig. Next day, do it again. The results have been dismal.

Now I'm thinking this is more serious than just a 10gr. bullet change. I am thinking the came-from-the-dealer Tasco Worldclass fixed 4x40 is toast. I've been over every nut, bolt, screw and strap on my rig and blue-juiced them all. Well, not the sling.

So, that's where I am. Any words of wisdom?

DiscMan

Post by DiscMan » January 22nd, 2015, 9:22 pm

I love these guns , it has a one in twenty eight twist and works with about ant bullet. It was designed around the XTP pistol bullets I wou start with 80 to90 grains of RS pistol powder and a 240 XTP. I will think you will like it. Good luck

Blackcat 86

Post by Blackcat 86 » December 17th, 2017, 12:29 pm

It's been awhile but I've made some adjustments with my BK92 and I'm back on board with it. I put a Nikon 2-7x32 Prostaff on top; love the scope and I have one on another rifle. I also switched to Hornady XTP .44mag. with their a green sabot. Loading is easier than ever before. Accuracy with 100g. FFg is again >MoA.