Is She Savable?

Kentucky45
Is She Savable?

Post by Kentucky45 » October 21st, 2015, 11:37 am

Greetings everyone. This is my first post.

I have a Percussion Kentucky Long Rifle with in a .45 Cal, with a 1:66 barrel twist. This rifle was a "Kit" from years and years ago. I am almost 30 and the rifle is about as old as I am. There was a company before Traditions that made Kit Rifles. My father made it from one of those kits. I love the look of it, and remember shooting it as a kid. It truly is an heirloom for me, valuable or not. We never really shot it alot, but I love it.

Anyway, I believe the rifle has just sat around. It was not properly maintained in that it was not oiled regularly while in storage. This thing has sat around in a closet for 15-20 years collecting dust and not being checked or oiled every so often. I am coming here because I have some questions about this. I am new to muzzleloading, and would like to get into it with this rifle, but I don't want to do anything dangerous. I would like to restore this rifle, but really have no idea how to do that, and I don't want to ruin the gun learning ... but don't really have deep pockets to have it done.

So this is what I know: The original company that made this kit is no longer around. So getting replacement parts (if I need replacements) is going to be an issue. Unless the new Traditions kit parts are interchangeable. There is a fair amount of rust, but I believe this is savable. But I am here to get a second opinion on that. If I am lucky, maybe some really harsh cleaners and some elbow grease + TLC will save the barrel and nipple. If that fails maybe I could get a replacement Traditions kit barrel and nipple (assuming they will be interchangeable). Anyway, here are pictures of the rifle. Hopefully they don't crash the forum LOL

I would like your opinions on this rifle. Do you think it is savable? If so how would I go about doing that? I would prefer to do all the work myself, but have no idea what I am doing, so you will have to spell it out for me.

Thanks everyone and any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

I may have to re-upload these pictures ... so let me know if they are too small/grainy or don't show properly.
Attachments
Overall.jpg
Overall
Overall.jpg (230.2KiB)Viewed 2865 times
Bore.jpg
Bore
Bore.jpg (250.83KiB)Viewed 2865 times
Hammer+Nipple.jpg
Hammer + Nipple
Hammer+Nipple.jpg (135.49KiB)Viewed 2865 times

a1smokepole

Re: Is She Savable?

Post by a1smokepole » October 21st, 2015, 3:55 pm

Try some evapo rust in the bore for like a day setup time to remove the rust. my have to do two times and then get some JB bore bright red label and work it with that and see what it looks like. use a tight patch and some oil with the JB and replace the patch after 20 passes witch is up and down is one. take the gun apart to do this and just take your time it may work out for you.