I have a problem with accuracy beyond about 175 yards

NuJudge
I have a problem with accuracy beyond about 175 yards

Post by NuJudge » February 23rd, 2012, 7:00 am

I have a Knight Disc Extreme that shoots well to about 175 yards, then less well beyond that. I believe the bullets are going subsonic at about 175 yards. I am using a stiff load of Blackhorn 209 and Dead Center 340gr, as well as with 300gr Jacketeds with yellow tips in Knight and Crush Rib Sabots.

I am looking for a load that shoots well for you beyond 175 yards.

bear hunter

Re: I have a problem with accuracy beyond about 175 yards

Post by bear hunter » February 23rd, 2012, 3:13 pm

I use the yellow tip in 250 gr with 150 grs of powder and it works great at long range. Hope that helps.
Last edited by bear hunter on February 23rd, 2012, 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sabotloader

Post by sabotloader » February 23rd, 2012, 4:59 pm

NuJudge wrote:I have a Knight Disc Extreme that shoots well to about 175 yards, then less well beyond that. I believe the bullets are going subsonic at about 175 yards. I am using a stiff load of Blackhorn 209 and Dead Center 340gr, as well as with 300gr Jacketeds with yellow tips in Knight and Crush Rib Sabots.

I am looking for a load that shoots well for you beyond 175 yards.
I replied in your original post also... but was just thinking - the Crush Rib migh not be the best sabot for a DISC Extreme, especially shooting BH. You might have better luck with a MMP HPH-24 or a Harvester Smooth Long Black sabot. These sabots should give you a tighter fit and less gas leakage around the sabot.
Keep on Shooting Muzzleloaders - They are a blast

WolfKill

Post by WolfKill » February 24th, 2012, 9:59 am

Harvester Muzzleloading offers two .50x.45 Crush Rib Sabots. One in black, one in red. If you are using the black, and it tends to load way too easily, switch to the red. It is a few thousandths larger in diameter, and fits the bore snugger. I've been shooting one of the .50 Mountaineer prototypes fince February 2010, and now have put more than 3,500 rounds through it. The Green Mountain barrel on this rifle has a bore that is almost .502. The black CRS loads way too easily...and accuracy is just so-so with a .451" bullet. However, the rifle is a tack driver when I load and shoot 110-grains of Blackhorn 209 behind a saboted .451" Scorpion PT Gold...loaded with the red CRS.

Go to the Harvester Muzzleloading website, contact them, and they will send you a few of the red sabots to try.

TomDrechsler

Post by TomDrechsler » February 27th, 2012, 1:23 pm

WolfKill wrote:Harvester Muzzleloading offers two .50x.45 Crush Rib Sabots. One in black, one in red. If you are using the black, and it tends to load way too easily, switch to the red. It is a few thousandths larger in diameter, and fits the bore snugger. I've been shooting one of the .50 Mountaineer prototypes fince February 2010, and now have put more than 3,500 rounds through it. The Green Mountain barrel on this rifle has a bore that is almost .502. The black CRS loads way too easily...and accuracy is just so-so with a .451" bullet. However, the rifle is a tack driver when I load and shoot 110-grains of Blackhorn 209 behind a saboted .451" Scorpion PT Gold...loaded with the red CRS.

Go to the Harvester Muzzleloading website, contact them, and they will send you a few of the red sabots to try.
Wolfkill, The Mountaineer didnt exist in 2010. You must of been lucky to get one of the Ultimate Slam prototypes. There has been many changes to the Mountaineer since then. The new Mountaineer will shoot a wide variety of bullets very well. Including .451 and .452 bullets in both MMP and Harvester sabots.

WolfKill

Post by WolfKill » February 27th, 2012, 5:14 pm

Tom...You are correct. This was one of the original prototypes that the old Knight Rifles had sent. It's basically the very same rifle...just a different name.

WolfKill

Post by WolfKill » February 27th, 2012, 5:18 pm

Tom...not a lot of changes at all. The biggest change was with the breechplug design. I had one of the newer breech plugs in my rifle almost six months before the rifle was dubbed the Mountaineer and put on the market. The main reason for the change was that the Ultimate Slam is a Leupold trademark. Toby Bridges, NORTH AMERICAN MUZZLELOADER HUNTING

TomDrechsler

Post by TomDrechsler » February 27th, 2012, 8:54 pm

WolfKill wrote:Tom...not a lot of changes at all. The biggest change was with the breechplug design. I had one of the newer breech plugs in my rifle almost six months before the rifle was dubbed the Mountaineer and put on the market. The main reason for the change was that the Ultimate Slam is a Leupold trademark. Toby Bridges, NORTH AMERICAN MUZZLELOADER HUNTING
Hey Toby, Wolfkill???? I didn't pick up on your name. :) The breech plug and bolts 6 months before it was a Mountaineer all failed testing. All the tolerances in the barrel have been tightened up by Green Mountain and all the bolts and breech plugs have been as well by Lehigh. This ML was still not right at the NRA show in Pittsburgh. The Mountaineer has had many changes since then. Easton Ramrod, DynaTech bore coating, New smoother bolt action, all BP substitutes bare primer breech plug compatible, and so on. This new Mountaineer is the best production ML ever made. Knight did not skimp on quality at all, its that good. ;)

WolfKill

Post by WolfKill » February 28th, 2012, 3:51 pm

Tom...I've been updating mine along the way...except for the barrel coating and the bolt. However, I really don't have that much problem with the bolt. Mine was likely the last prototype the old company put together, and I know they did a little something different to the bolt than the first few prototypes. I can usually get in about 25 shots before the primer wants to stick in the bolt face. Then, I just pull it, clean it and stick it back in. Most range sessions, I take the prototype and my Long Range Hunter and put about 50 or 60 rounds downrage (total for both guns). I've got about 3,500 rounds through the prototype.

Good to hear that barrel tolerances are bit tighter now. The bore on my Mountaineer/Ultimate Slam prototype is somewhere between .501 and .502. It shoots great, but to really keep groups tightly clustered, I use the slightly tighter fitting red .50x.45 Crush Rib sabot from Harvester Muzzleloading.

My old Long Range Hunter, which I've been shooting since 2005, is closing in on 11,000 rounds...and that Green Moutnain barrel is still a tack driver.

Glad to see you jumping in here and sharing what you know about tapping what a Knight can deliver.

Toby Bridges
NORTH AMERICAN
MUZZLELOADER HUNTING

Taureau noir

Post by Taureau noir » November 16th, 2012, 8:01 pm

Would the red CRS from Harvester is thicker than the Barnes Expander 300gr.red sabots?I foud it loos ein my Extreme and went with Black CRS from Harvester and it stiffer and very accurate.
Taureau noir