What load are you using?

aquastang
What load are you using?

Post by aquastang » April 11th, 2012, 9:54 pm

I just got back from taking the KP1 out to the range. Shot Barnes 285 gr. Spitfire over 100 gr. BH 209. Very little breeze and I managed a 100 yard group at just over 1" and one that was closer to 3/4". This is about the best I think I can or need to do, so I am pretty satisfied. Any other KP1 shooters having success with other combos?

WIhunter

Re: What load are you using?

Post by WIhunter » April 12th, 2012, 7:09 pm

2 50gr pellets of Hodgdon 777 with a Barnes 250gr expander in a Harvester crush rib sabot. It shoots pretty good.

hydrashocker

Post by hydrashocker » June 1st, 2012, 11:33 am

I'm shooting 120 grains of BH209, CCI 209M primer, 250 Hornady SST bullet, and a Harvester Black Crush Rib sabot. With this combo I'm shooting sub 1" at 50 yards with a 1" DOT consecutively, and even had great 100 yard groups with a lucky sub. I plan on using Hornady XTP/MAG bullet in 240 grain for my next shoot. The MAG version of the XTP is meant for higher velocities like Muzzle loaders.

The only issue I have with the 250 Hornady SST bullet is that the company tech's state they need at least 1600 FPS to expand, and that is hard to achieve at 100 yards without a magnum load like 120 grains BH209, so I am going to try the XTP/MAG bullets as they said they will expand at 1100 FPS or lower.

I have tried many different loads, sabots, loads, and everything. Mine seems to like the .452 bullets with the Harvester Black Crush Rib sabot. It does not like boat tailed bullets at all. It prefers a flat based bullet.

Going to mount a scope on my Weaver mount and see what else I can do to shrink my groups.

On a side note, it's nice to see that Knight finally put the KP1 section together.
Last edited by hydrashocker on June 5th, 2012, 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hydrashocker

Post by hydrashocker » June 5th, 2012, 4:47 pm

Oh by the way, I pulled out the jacketed breech plug and bought a Bare 209 breech plug from Knight...... ;)

Anyway, a buddy of mine is using this load in his KP1:
I have been running the 250 grain Hornady, with 120 grains of BH209. It is sighted in at 100 yds. and with my Cabella's powder horn bdc it is right on horizontally and 2" low. I can't complain on that! I shot a doe this year, at about 65 yds, she went nowhere.

Denny

aquastang

Post by aquastang » June 12th, 2012, 2:34 pm

Hydrashocker, you have point there. The only boattail that my KP-1 has shot accurately for me is the Spitfire, but when I go up to 110 or 120 grains of BH...well, let's just say that the accuracy suffers. I have been shooting XTP Mags also with pretty good results. The 300 grain have shot well over 110 grains of BH with sabot supplied. I tried the crushed rib sabots and things loosened up a little, but not terrible, maybe my barrel is a little loose.

The last two times out I have shot 300 gr. Speer Deep Curls(.454 Casull), 110 gr. BH, with some Thompson super glide sabots (will probably try some MMP and smooth Harvesters next). The results have been impressive with groups regularly in 1" to 1.25" range. I like everything I have read and seen about the performance of these bullets. I will be shooting at 200 yds the next time out to check drop, but I would say at this point, for the price per shot (18.99 for 50) that this may very well be the bullet I settle on.

hydrashocker

Post by hydrashocker » June 13th, 2012, 8:22 am

Have you tried .454 Casull in the Black Harvester yet?

I know some people are using the .458 bullet in the Orange, and in some looser barrels can even fit in the black harvester crush rib sabot.

300 grain usually hae better coeficentcy at longer range, I just haven't gotten them to shot out of mine. Seems like mine likes the 250 grains.

Also I know a lot of people like the Scorpion PT Gold in 300 grain? http://www.harvestermuzzleloading.com/i ... 1&Itemid=3

aquastang

Post by aquastang » June 15th, 2012, 2:19 pm

Harvesters are next on the list for sabots with the .454 Casull. It's been a little warm and windy on days that I have available to go shoot. Hopefully next week some time will work. I'll let you know how it goes.

I've considered the .458, but I think I will exhaust other other bullet/sabot combos first.

I have tried the PT Gold 260 gr. with mixed results. Just haven't go around to ordering 300 gr. yet, but I have read some good reports.

Up to this point I have used 240 gr. and 250 gr. XTPs a lot, mostly because that is what I shot for years in the LK-93s. I tried the 250 gr. SST and it was a miserable flop with my barrel. This year I have the time and inclination to play with 300 gr. bullets....but those XTPs put a lot of deer in the freezer over the years! I have kept track and on one of the guns we (me and my sons) have taken 37 deer.

hydrashocker

Post by hydrashocker » July 7th, 2012, 9:06 pm

Well I went shooting yesterday at the 100 yard bench and pulled a 0.5" group with my set up using the load I stated. It can be done but it takes a lot of bench time and load playing to find that perfect mark, not to mention a good gun, and I think these older Knight guns throw a large unique profile out there and that profile is going to be a shoe that is hard to fill.

mohican

Post by mohican » October 18th, 2012, 11:17 am

Hornady FPB 350 grain bullet http://www.hornady.com/store/50-Cal-350-gr-FPB/
100 grains 777 - fffg
Federal 209 primer

for those using Blackhorn - did you have to drill out your breechplug?

aquastang

Post by aquastang » November 23rd, 2012, 11:29 am

Well, I finally set aside enough time on a decent day to get to the range. After having tried various combinations of bullets, sabots, charges, etc....I will be going with Speer .454 Casull, black smooth Harvester sabots, 100 gr. Blackhorn. These had shot well earlier at 110 gr. Blackhorn, but when I backed of to 100 gr., things really came together. Last grouping was about 1/2 inch high dead on at 100 yds. and grouped wthin an inch with a couple touching. Never did get a chance to shoot at 200 yds...weather and free time just never meshed. Now just waiting for late muzzleloader season here in Iowa. Best of luck to all on there seasons!