KP1 Accuracy problems

South-Paw Slinger
KP1 Accuracy problems

Post by South-Paw Slinger » August 4th, 2012, 8:10 am

Hello all,
I am having problems sighting in my KP1. I mounted a Leupold VX-1 in a set of Ded-Nutz 1-piece scope rings. I got it on paper 3in. high dead center at about 25yards, but I completely ran out of any more elevation adjustment on my scope by doing so. Then I went to the range yesterday morning to get in dialed-in at 100yrds. I wasn't even on the paper. I was shooting way too low. I had to adjust my elevation back down almost all the way in the other direction in order to get on paper. Once I was on paper I dial it too the point of impact and then it didn't even hit the paper once again! I am completely aggravated and lost on what to do....lol I am shooting 100gr. of blackhorn 209 with federal 209A primers with 250gr. Barnes Expander Spit-Fire T-EZ Sabots 50cal. When I shot it at 25yds., it grouped very tight. I figured I wouldn't have any problems getting it dialed in at 100yds. but I was wrong. I'm about ready to take the scope off and go to open sights at an inch high at 50yds. and be done with it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

South-Paw Slinger

Re: KP1 Accuracy problems

Post by South-Paw Slinger » August 6th, 2012, 7:37 pm

Just wanted to add that I took off my scope and it is still shooting too low. I can't adjust my rear ramp enough to bring my shot up anymore, so this tells me it is the bullet I'm shooting. I guess I'll try something different now.....after I get my scope mounted back on. lol Does anybody have any load suggestions for a 50cal. KP1? Thanks

jewhj14

Post by jewhj14 » August 22nd, 2012, 1:56 pm

I shoot 120 grains of Blackhorn 209 with a Hornady 250gr SST and a Ferderal 209A primer. I have shot this load for 3 years and it consistantly shoots around 1' groups at 100 yards. The KP1 is the best feeling and most accurate muzzlelaoder I have ever shot. I hope you get yours shooting as good as I know it can.

hydrashocker

Post by hydrashocker » August 25th, 2012, 11:17 pm

As for your scope and shooting. I had the same issues using the factory weaver base. Found out that the mounting screws were actually too long (but talking just a few thousandths) for the bases. Didn't notice it at first because I did everything right. I cleaned each threaded hole out with alcohol and put down a little Lok-Tite and torqued the base down making sure I had enough Lok-Tite on to ensure a good tight fit without backing off. Well it was shooting like crap and I couldn't figure it out until I slightly bumped it and heard a strange rattle. Well after looking I found that the screws were too long and the mount had glued it's self to the barrel!!!! Well each time I shot it the scope moved slightly causing my issues. I ground off the screws enough to shorten them to fit and checked them in each hole to ensure this time no issues and remounted it again. Let it dry for a day and went out, bam nailed it!

Now after I got a good load I went down to Barnes (live 30 minutes away) and talked to their techs. The talked me into their 250 grain and 300 grain bullets and I tried them out. They shot very high and all over the place. See each bullet and powder charge will give you different results, and some are WAY out of the ball park. I really wanted to use their bullets, but I can't plain and simple! For instance, I tried some Powerbelt cronicals with the same load and I shot off the ply wood back plate, never mind the target! You have to be consistent!

There is a load thread already in here already, considering there are only 4 threads in this section it shouldn't be hard to find the thread, but here is a link. http://www.forums.knightrifles.com/what ... g-t76.html

The 250 SST-ML bullet works like a dead ringer in mine as well (because it is a .452 diameter), and many others as well, see the thread.

The Gunmother

Post by The Gunmother » September 23rd, 2012, 11:22 am

Put a 1" dowel x 24" - 36" in your rings and look from the muzzle end. I had a problem with scope mounting screw holes not being parallel to the bore on a 17cal barrel. Knight promptly sent a new barrel.

bjw

Post by bjw » November 16th, 2012, 3:28 pm

I was having issues until I cleaned the primmer ignition wholes and made it a bit larger so the hole didnt get clogged and started using cci magnum 209 bare primers with hornady 300grain hollowpoints .452 xtp/mag. Now it it accurate and using 120 grains of blackhorn 209 and nikon bdc scope can take them consistently out to 300 yds.

Just sharing not recomending!!!!I am not changing anything!!!but maybe buying a leftover kp1!!!

north-woods-law

Post by north-woods-law » November 16th, 2012, 7:05 pm

Buy a kpx they should be out soon!!! HEY KNIGHT SHOW SOME PICS!! :mrgreen:

north-woods-law

Post by north-woods-law » November 16th, 2012, 7:16 pm

north-woods-law wrote:Buy a kpx they should be out soon!!! HEY KNIGHT SHOW SOME PICS!! :mrgreen:
KP2=KPX=KP2X=KP2000 IT WILL BE CALLED ONE OF THEM! :D

north-woods-law

Post by north-woods-law » November 16th, 2012, 7:21 pm

I use 150 grains of tripple7 and hornady!!! :twisted:

hydrashocker

Post by hydrashocker » November 19th, 2012, 10:47 am

Hornady sent out their new 2013 catalog and they have a new bullet for us. Looks like they now have the MonoFex in 250 grain which is a .452 diameter bullet. Once more it is a non lead bullet so the length will be longer so more fascia to barrel contact should tighten things up I would assume. From it's appearance the bullet is built better then the SST to open at lower velocity in the 1100 fps range. Being able to open at that velocity would take us out to around 400 yards easy I would assume if using a magnum load.

http://www.hornady.com/store/50-Cal-Sab ... FX-Bullet/

One thing I can't put my finger on is the Ballistic Coefficient being lower then the SST???? They are the same type design but with the SST coming in at .210 and the MonoFlex coming in at only .155??? Regardless I would like to try them if I could get my hands on em. Right now looks like I have to wait tell around Christmas. I will try them with the Harvester Black Crush Rib sabot when I get them and 120 grains of BH 209.

Where is some information on this new gun you guys are talking about?