knight shooter
is there going to be a new kp1

Post by knight shooter » April 30th, 2013, 5:20 pm

Just wondering are they coming back?
thanks

hydrashocker

Re: is there going to be a new kp1

Post by hydrashocker » January 30th, 2014, 10:09 am

No they lost the rights when Knight sold out, something about the design didn't get included or something. There was some talk about recreating a different type but it so far has never came available so I wouldn't hold my breath.

a1smokepole

Post by a1smokepole » February 7th, 2014, 10:59 am

yes it is coming back and the new name is KPX look in the new calalog on knights web for 2014

knight shooter

Post by knight shooter » February 8th, 2014, 11:34 am

When is it coming out?

a1smokepole

Post by a1smokepole » February 8th, 2014, 2:19 pm

I don't no but if its in the 2014 catalog I would say before hunting season.

starbuck

Post by starbuck » February 18th, 2014, 11:42 pm

Does anyone know if the Kp-1 and KPX will have interchangeable parts? Specifically, the barrels, trigger groups, and firing pins. I currently have two KP1 rifles and a number of barrels in various calibers. One has the early style trigger assembly with hammer top safety. It has a good pull weight for hunting, but when used with the centerfire barrels it does not always set the primer off. I've not had an issue with it on 209 primers. The other has a newer style trigger without the hammer safety. It has a heavier spring, which does work well for igniting centerfire rifle primers; however, it has a terribly heavy pull, which does affect accuracy - especially when shooting freehand. Additionally, I had a firing pin break and one get bent, but I'm mostly certain it was from a poorly designed snap cap I was using in a 45-70 barrel to check trigger pull weight. I was able to track two replacements down, but it would be nice to get more just in case. It would be nice, too, if they introduce some new calibers in barrels that fit the KP-1, like the 35 Whelen. Overall, I like the guns and the switch barrel design. They seem to be very accurate. In fact, the muzzleloader barrels give me outstanding accuracy. Best I've seen yet from any muzzleloader, and I've owned quite a few and shot just about everything else out there. Guess that's why I quickly bought a second one as soon as I heard they were no longer going to be available. It would be really, really great if they kept the kp1 owners in mind when they put the KPX out.

a1smokepole

Post by a1smokepole » February 19th, 2014, 12:11 am

They did rework the gun and the trigger time will tell when they come out.

starbuck

Post by starbuck » February 22nd, 2014, 1:19 pm

I emailed Knight with the same question I posted here. The reply was quick. It stated that certain parts would be interchangeable; however, the person writing the reply was not exactly certain about which ones would be, or of which parts were going to be offered for sale separately. It stated that some of the separate parts would be offered for sale on Knight's web-site, and that interchangeability would be noted with the item description. So, I'm still hopeful, but time will tell if I'll be able to purchase a couple new trigger groups and new caliber barrels. The new, adjustable triggers would be a real to both boon the older KP-1s and the current KPX; as I see it, the triggers - the first generation with the Rube Goldberg safeties and inconsistent ignition on rifle primers, and the second generation with their heavy, nonadjustable, accuracy eating trigger pulls - were always the achilles tendon of the KP1s. Everything else about them seems first class. Accuracy, ergonomics, and function - trigger groups excluded - with all of the barrels I have has been nothing short of outstanding. If they finally got the trigger right, they will certainly be head and shoulders above other contemporary switch barrel designs.

Return to “KP1”