Bullets for my BigHorn

idduckhntr 41
Bullets for my BigHorn

Post by idduckhntr 41 » March 12th, 2015, 9:11 am

I am trying to decide what bullet to shoot in my new BigHorn. I have to shoot a conical but have not decided on which one. I have 3 in mind, the T/C 275 gr maxi hunter, the 350 gr maxi hntr or the 320 maxi ball. Any thoughts on this would be great as this is my first Knight. Been shooting a Hawken for yrs but decided to change it up a bit.

FBrandt

Re: Bullets for my BigHorn

Post by FBrandt » January 7th, 2016, 12:19 am

So, how'd it go? What kind of groups did you get with which bullets? I'm thinking of getting a Bighorn myself.

Steve_

Post by Steve_ » August 28th, 2016, 11:14 pm

I've tried different weights of Red Hots, along with several different Barnes and Hornady bullets. I had the best luck with Knight's 250gr Bloodline bullets with 100gr of 777 behind them. I weighed 10 samples with 100gr (volume) of 777, and found that they weighed about 74gr by weight. I weigh all my powder and put the pre-weighed powder in plastic vials, which facilitates reloading out in the field. I found that the gun shoots consistently if I fire two primers after cleaning the barrel. This fouls the barrel and the gun will shoot 3 or 4 shots in a nice tight pattern without needing to be re-cleaned after every shot. The velocity drops a bit with each shot, but not enough to prevent a good pattern at 100yds.

Knight guarantees MOA accuracy at 200 yds. In all the fooling around with different bullets, weights, and powder, I have gotten MOA accuracy at 100yds once with a good scope. I'm not the best shot in the world, but I can get 3/8" groups from both my factory Tikkas, so I'm guessing there may be a better powder/ bullet combination that I haven't yet found. BTW, the combination I found most consistent was suggested by someone on the help desk at Knight.

Also, I live in Washington, so I have to use the older style primers that have to be exposed to the elements. I use CCI #11 Magnum primers, and have never had a misfire.

azconical

Post by azconical » September 8th, 2016, 9:48 pm

Wow, I thought I was the only weirdo that weighed my charges. :!:
I'm just getting back into muzzleloading, but I used to shoot the No Excuses 50 cal 460 grain bullets and had great results.
I used that Shockey's Gold powder and was able to create clover leafs at 75 yards with a T/C Encore.
I'll have to find my old notes, but I think my max load was around 80 grains by weight.
Oh, and I was using small rifle primers in Precision Rifle Vari-Flame 209 primer adapters.
Since you have to use a cap, I would humbly suggest you go to musket cap ignition.
The temp is the same as the #11 mags, I think, but there is lots more flame.
And don't forget to run a nipple pick through the nipple into your charge before you shoot!

Steve_

Post by Steve_ » December 4th, 2016, 2:43 pm

Well, I'd prefer a more reliable primer like the 209, but they're not legal in Washington. I think all you can use is a musket cap or a #11. They work fine, but there's no seal against the weather, of course. Still, I've never had a misfire. And, by the way, I did get a nice 4x 5 whitetail this fall with it. The buck was only a three-yr-old so the antlers weren't all too impressive. Yet, it was a big deer who had been eating alfalfa all his life and he is keeping the black bear I shot this spring company in the freezer.

Return to “Bighorn”