Hang Fire

OrrHunter1
Hang Fire

Post by OrrHunter1 » April 27th, 2014, 6:34 am

Hello Everyone,
First post here on this forum but I was wondering if someone could them me why I'm experiencing hang fires with my
Mountaineer using the full plastic jacket primer system & breech plug with BH209. When I change back to my bare primer breech plug this issue goes away. Whats the differences between the two systems they are both the same lengths same shape at the end where the powder is ignited from.The only difference that I can see is in how the primer fastens to each the breech plugs and how one may not have as clean of flow in delivering proper amount of flame needed. Any thoughts or knowledge of this issue would be great.

Thank you,
OrrHunter1

a1smokepole

Re: Hang Fire

Post by a1smokepole » April 27th, 2014, 9:14 am

You need to stay with the bare primer system that will stop the delay and be cleaner.

sourdough44

Post by sourdough44 » May 1st, 2014, 4:31 am

I like the bare primer plug, but the B209 charge should ignite reliably either way. Let's back up a bit, What primer? B209 needs a hot primer to ignite reliably, especially in cold weather. I use a CCIM primer, others work fine too.

One needs to seat the saboted bullet firmly on the powder charge, use some pressure. Then we are certain the flash channel is clear, no carbon build-up? If in doubt use a welding tip cleaner to clear it up. You don't want any oils inside. I usually fire 2 primers to clear before I load my gun.

OrrHunter1

Post by OrrHunter1 » May 6th, 2014, 7:50 pm

CCI mag primers were used and yes flash hole was clear. I pulled The BP at the first hang fire and could see thru it. I used a nipple pick to make sure it was clear but whether or not was clear to the proper size I'm not sure but this was the second shot mind you and the first shot went off just fine. This was and is a brand new breech plug.

Thanks for the help to all

Thanks Again,
OrrHunter1

sourdough44

Post by sourdough44 » May 12th, 2014, 1:06 pm

The CCIM primer is a great one for B209. Blackhorn likes a firm seat. doubtfull that's a problem though if the other works fine. At least with the older Knights, the Lehigh style breech plug has a slighly larger flash channel. It was reportedly 'optimized for use with B209'. Not sure if there is a flash channel size difference with your 2 plugs.

The simple solution is to just use the bare primer breech plug. That's what I switched to, works just fine.

OrrHunter1

Post by OrrHunter1 » May 16th, 2014, 9:04 pm

I'll have to check the hole sizes out for each. Would you happen to know what size they should be.

sourdough44

Post by sourdough44 » May 20th, 2014, 6:55 am

It was somewhere around .034 flash hole size, that was reportidly 'optimized' for Blackhorn 209. That seems to be a common channel size.

http://www.blackhorn209.com/specs/ignition-guidelines/

ourway77

Post by ourway77 » May 24th, 2016, 5:22 am

I had the same problem with my 50 caliber Master Hunter missed a large Buck because of it (Hang Fire) I just bought some BH-209 powder My knight has the red disk system I was told on Doug's message boards that it wasn't the powder but the breech plug I was told I could send it too one of the gunsmiths on the sight and they will drill the old plug out and install a vent liner and the BH-209 problem will go away. I was about to send it away to have it done when I decided to buy a 45 1-20 twist knight bare primer set up, so my Master Hunter will become a safe queen. There is a post on the sight by a member who has designed a new breech plug that eliminates all the problems associated with the bare primer system on all bolt guns have no further details where available or the cost. If you visit Doug's sight you will get first hand information on the new plug. Lou

cb186

Post by cb186 » June 5th, 2016, 7:13 am

3 of us have been shooting KP1's with breach plugs drilled out to .045" for the last ~6-7 years and alhang tires are a rarity, but still happen occasionally. Before I opened them up, it happened much, much more often. We use CCI Magnum primers with the regular/magnetic plugs.

Return to “Mountaineer”