Mountaineer has Arrived

GADawg
Mountaineer has Arrived

Post by GADawg » August 15th, 2013, 5:52 pm

Well, my steal of a deal finally arrived today! For $300 I got a shadow gray laminate mountaineer with two breechplugs, no iron sights, breech wrench, and scope rings. Ditched the rings since I already had a scope with rings for her.

Gotta get some irons. I am a big fan of the fire sights. Cleaned her up when she arrived. Looks like someone fired a primer or maybe one shot without cleaning recently. Really digging the fit and finish of this rifle. Noticed the socket and extension I use on the extreme doesn't fit the mountaineers receiver.

This laminate stock is outta sight. Heavy, but still pretty sweet. The ramrod extension is pretty sweet as well. Trigger breaks at most at three pounds. I will zero her tomorrow morning at 100 trying Winchester 260gr platinums in black sabots first. Noticed when loading tonight that this gun has quite a tighter bore than my older disc extreme. Someone apparently "seasoned" the bore as when I cleaned her I removed what apeared to be a layer of bore butter. Anyway, if she shoots straight, I think she will have been well worth the wait, and patience for one of these fine rifles.

GADawg

Re: Mountaineer has Arrived

Post by GADawg » August 15th, 2013, 5:55 pm

Forgot to mention as well, that, barring a shortage, this gun will only shoot blackhorn. Also gonna try the Federal 209A primers. This is my first bare primer knight. Really looking forward to the morning.

GADawg

Post by GADawg » August 16th, 2013, 12:35 pm

Well, first impressions: I need to practice my fundamentals some more. Had a number of flyers at the "range" today. The mountaineer on the other hand, hit everywhere the crosshairs happened to be when I pulled the trigger. My best group was my final one, when after 40 or so shots I managed to reign in a five shot 1.5 inch group at 100. I was shooting over the truck hood on a sandbag. Not certain that is the best bench on earth to find out what the gun itself can do.

Another note: the 260gr Winchester Platinums in their native black sabots are way too tight for this gun. The Hornady xtp 240 in a black sabot is about perfect though. Decided to stick with the hornadys. Charge was 100 grains for all shots, just to establish a baseline for what this gun could do. Primer was federal 209a.

The bare primer system is ok, with the main advantage being that you don't need an extre component. The downside is the primers consistently stuck in the bolt. That's a pain. Never had an fpj stuck in the disc extreme. Overall, a very nice rifle.

I didn't let the gun cool more than two minutes, nor did I swab anything as I wanted to see what a knight was capable of shot for shot. Loading was never excessively difficult probably owing to the blackhorn.

sourdough44

Post by sourdough44 » August 16th, 2013, 12:57 pm

Yes, a great deal! My primers stick a little too, in my Knight Elite with the Lehigh style plug. Usually if I shake it once or twice they fall out. I'm about ready to go with my 45 cal Elite this Fall, just a bit more fine tuning. I'm going with 110 grns of B209 and 195 grn Barnes saboted bullets.

GADawg

Post by GADawg » August 21st, 2013, 11:47 am

I am pretty set that I am gonna order a green thumbhole composite stock for it. The laminate is beautiful, but quite heavy. Also prolly gonna buy a .45 and/or .52 kit for it too eventually. Way cheaper than whole other rifles.

ourway77

Post by ourway77 » May 24th, 2016, 5:50 am

Lehight has come out with a new breech plug for all bare primer bolt guns that use bare primers it's supposed to eliminate all the problems associated with the knight plugs such as sticking primers and they have a replaceable vent liner

GMB54-120

Post by GMB54-120 » May 28th, 2016, 11:33 pm

ourway77 wrote:Lehight has come out with a new breech plug for all bare primer bolt guns that use bare primers it's supposed to eliminate all the problems associated with the knight plugs such as sticking primers and they have a replaceable vent liner
Um no that in not correct as far as i have heard. Bestill Creations has a new plug that uses a tungsten bushing but the plug need to be correctly fitted to each rifle. Lehigh used to make a removable vent liner plug before they had a contract with Knight.
Green Mountain 54-120 Brush Gun
Elite 45 blued
Original DISC 45 SS
LRH 52cal

Return to “Mountaineer”