Knight Super DISC Rocks in the Pit

sabotloader
Knight Super DISC Rocks in the Pit

Post by sabotloader » August 24th, 2014, 9:33 pm

I needed a moment of recreation this morning so I grabbed a rifle and headed to the Rock Pit for some rest and relaxation.

The other day one of my friends said he was going to use his Super DISC 45 to hunt with this year, I had picked a 50 cal. Ultra-Lite to use during the rifle season here in Idaho. But after thinking about it, I really liked his thought so I took my Super DISC this morning to verify POI.

The unique thing about the Super DISC is the rate of twist in the bore. When it and other companies released these fast twist 45 several years ago there were terrible accuracy problems with the rifles. The Super DISC is a 1 in 20 twist and fell in that category of not so hot accuracy with the various available bullets and the sabots of the time. Doc White at the same time released his 45 cal. fast twist rifles that conicals even very large beefy conicals. Today with the advent of the new Polymer formulations for sabots, they are much stronger and work very well and can handle the torque created in a fast twist bore.

All that aside I really wanted to shoot the rifle to verify POI and at the same time have some fun.

I normally place birds on the first level of the Rock Pit - but this morning got some birds on the second level that increased the range a few yard not enough to make a real difference but it was some thing different. The rock in the pit is Basalt an extremely hard rock. It is extrusive igneous (volcanic) rock formed from the rapid cooling of basaltic lava exposed at or very near the surface of a planet. I mention this because I wish I would have recorded the sound of these brass bullets hitting the Basalt rock formation at the end of the pit. The 'thud' was terrific, the bullet hit so darn hard. I can only imagine the energy transfer. From previous testing I know I am shooting the 40x200 @ right around 2200 fps. @ the muzzle.

So.... after shooting today Sqezer - you are right - think I am going to use this rifle for deer season than switch to a Western ULite for ML season...

Here are a few pictures of todays shooting...

Keep on Shooting Muzzleloaders - They are a blast

Return to “DISC Extreme”