Knight MK 85 Nipple Problem

Griner Bros
Knight MK 85 Nipple Problem

Post by Griner Bros » August 8th, 2012, 5:38 pm

I got my parts from Knight for my Knight 85 rifle today and attempted to remove the breech plug but to no avail. The hole in the removal tool as too small to remove the nipple holder. After looking at the nipple it was too large for a regular cap and I could see no way a 209 would work on it. What has the previous owner done to this rifle and where can I get a tool to remove the current nipple?

sabotloader

Re: Knight MK 85 Nipple Problem

Post by sabotloader » August 8th, 2012, 5:59 pm

Griner Bros wrote:I got my parts from Knight for my Knight 85 rifle today and attempted to remove the breech plug but to no avail. The hole in the removal tool as too small to remove the nipple holder. After looking at the nipple it was too large for a regular cap and I could see no way a 209 would work on it. What has the previous owner done to this rifle and where can I get a tool to remove the current nipple?
I am not sure I have the answer for you... but the MK came with to different types of breech plugs one with a slot in to remove and one with a hex head so that you could use a socket on it.

But I think you are talking about the actual nipple portion itself.

This is an example of a hex head BP with a #11 nipple installed. Does this nipple look like the one you have installed or is it slightly larger diameter stack - that being a Musket nipple.

So next... the tool you will not go over the nipple post or it will not grip the base of the nipple to turn it out?

Any chance tou could get a picture?
Keep on Shooting Muzzleloaders - They are a blast

Griner Bros

Post by Griner Bros » August 8th, 2012, 6:29 pm

Actually the breech plug is the other style with the slash in it, no hex like in your picture. The problem is with the nipple, it is too large for the #11 cap to fit on it. The tool Knight sent me will not fit over the nipple to allow it's removal. I guess I will have to drill it out. After looking at Knight's stuff I wonder if it might have been converted to use the 209 primers with the plastic jackets. It looks like the tool will remove the nipple if it woulod go down but the hole is too small (or the nipple is too big) to allow it to grip the base of the nipple.

Griner Bros

Post by Griner Bros » August 8th, 2012, 6:55 pm

Now that I look at it I wonder if it does have the red hot nipple that used the musket cap. It's either that or the 209 with the red plastic holder. Regardless I guess I will have to drill out this combo tool to use it. BTW are the musket caps available everywhere?

sabotloader

Post by sabotloader » August 8th, 2012, 7:53 pm

Griner Bros wrote:Now that I look at it I wonder if it does have the red hot nipple that used the musket cap. It's either that or the 209 with the red plastic holder. Regardless I guess I will have to drill out this combo tool to use it. BTW are the musket caps available everywhere?
The breech plug on the far left is a Red plastic jacket BP and the nipple post is not removable.

It really sounds like you a have a musket nipple intalled and yes - Musket caps are usually readily available.

This picture shows a Musket nipple second from right and #11 nipple on the far right...

Griner Bros

Post by Griner Bros » August 8th, 2012, 9:54 pm

So, am I correct to assume that I can drill out the combo tool to a little larger size hole and then it will fit over the "musket" nipple and I will not have to order a special combo tool?

sabotloader

Post by sabotloader » August 8th, 2012, 10:09 pm

Griner Bros wrote:So, am I correct to assume that I can drill out the combo tool to a little larger size hole and then it will fit over the "musket" nipple and I will not have to order a special combo tool?
I would certainly think you would be all right.

Is this the combo tool you have...

http://www.knightrifles.com/combo-tool-slot-M900131/

I was looking for mine but can not find it right now... but, I am having a hard time believing Knight did not make it to take out both the #11 and the Musket nipple.

Griner Bros

Post by Griner Bros » August 9th, 2012, 4:57 am

Well apparently they didnt make it for both. Ill just have to drill mine out.

Thanks for your help. Richard

buisoma

Post by buisoma » September 20th, 2013, 5:21 pm

I had the same problem so I drill out my removal tool and had to side file the wings to get it to fit over the nipple cap. This worked for awhile until one wing of the wrench broke off. Now I'm not sure what to do is there a tool I can purchase or do I have to machine the end again.

Return to “MK85”