Breech Plug Blues

BamaKnight
Breech Plug Blues

Post by BamaKnight » November 1st, 2013, 7:16 am

I just acquired a Mk 85. The breech plug is the slotted type. the nipple pocket is threaded 5-16 24 I can,t find a nipple that size. Please tell me what I ve got

WV Hunter

Re: Breech Plug Blues

Post by WV Hunter » November 1st, 2013, 3:22 pm

Not sure. Most MK bp's that I've seen take a 1/4-28 nipple. I've seen two different size BP's, but they have used the same nipple. You could always upgrade to the newer hex head design bp, with a new red hot nipple (1/4-28).

BamaKnight

Post by BamaKnight » November 2nd, 2013, 7:07 am

could this breech plug be for those red plastic 209 primers. This my first experience with an in line rifle. does any body have the diameters of the plastic primer holders

WV Hunter

Post by WV Hunter » November 3rd, 2013, 12:53 pm

BamaKnight wrote:could this breech plug be for those red plastic 209 primers. This my first experience with an in line rifle. does any body have the diameters of the plastic primer holders
No. The plastic jacket 209 BP has a hex head with a stud that the plastic jackets fit over.

Not sure exactly what you are wanting to do. If you want to shoot #11's, I would get the new hex head style bp made for your gun, and a new red hot nipple. If you want to shoot 209's, just get the new hex head 209 bp and you are good to go. Based on what I've seen, there is no real advantage of using 209's over #11's in this style gun. Comes down to personal preference. Just go to the shooting accessories section on this site and you can look up the parts you need.

Yeoman

Post by Yeoman » March 11th, 2014, 7:27 pm

There are hex head MK-85 nipple plugs on EBay now for $15, part #900023 with free shipping. That's about half price. I bought one yesterday.

Return to “MK85”